1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking of bad headlines ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Dec 15, 2006.

1. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Before we crucify someone, let’s give them the benefit of the doubt that there might have been a computer glitch. We’ve all been there (well, probably) where we see a proof and everything looks fine, yet the page somehow wasn’t saved properly before it went off to production.

If there’s anyone to blame in this scenario, look no further than the composing room.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I am the last person to defend the composing room, but the mistake here is not their responsibility. Someone on the desk has to have the final look at the pages, and that's after proofing.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Playing the blame game is what has made newspapers irrelevant.

The bottom line is a big mistake made print. Find a way to fix it, and fix it. This will be exceedingly hard in an industry where managing editors are allowed to cower in their offices and do critiques. Nevertheless, it needs to happen.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Quick question: Define "Fucktard." ;)

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I remember when our paper misspelled Fucktard in a headline. We got a lot of calls that day.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Could "Fucktard" ever be a hyphenate?
    Say: fuck-tard comment.

7. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

http://soundfromwayout.blogspot.com/2006/05/day-lawn-wasnt-mowed.html

8. What irritates me at my place is that our system won't let you typeset dummy type (you get a huge error across the screen if you try), but some designers here insist on inputing "hed goes here" as real text, thereby making it typesetable and creating the possibility that something like this happens. Company spends assloads of money on a computer pagination system and everyone refuses to use it properly.

Draft saved Draft deleted