1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speak Truth To Power On The FAN, And See Where It Gets You

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Feb 7, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So you've heard Paul Finebaum, then...

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Is Michael Kay on at 1? That would be one choice. Doesn't matter much because you can't get 1050 outside of Manhattan (for the most part). You might be able to pick up one of the other pea-shooter ESPN stations, which is what--Scott Van Pelt? Other wise its conserva-babble with El Drugbo/Seannie/Mark Levin.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hank Goldberg mercilessly ripped the shit out of callers for over 10 years, but had contacts out the ass and occasionally even broke news on the show, something Francesa has never done.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mike is never taking Dog back. He got a raise and the ratings are about the same.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was the original plan when Dog left for WFAN to bring in a new co-host for Francesa?

I think it was, but I don't remember & obviously it never happened.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes and true, never happened.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Would typically agree with you, but why are the two playing kissy face?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/2009/10/17/2009-10-17_mike_francesa_and_chris_russo_schmooze.html

Mike's profile and power would actually increase if he took Mad Dog back. Mad Dog would always be viewed as the guy who had to crawl back to Mikey, who would as sure as shit is brown always make considerably more than Mad Dog. And the ratings would skyrocket. That first week back would be off-the-charts.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I enjoy Francesa's scolding of numbskull callers -- it's what sportswriters wish they could do to fans.

Kay is truly unlistenable on 1050, screaming pronouncements that reveal little grasp of the big picture. Bonnie Bernstein is worse. And don't get me started on Brandon Tierney.

Can I ask, is Colin Cowherd as simple-minded in person as he is on the air? "All you have to do to win a championship is have most of your players play up to 80 percent of their career bests," or some such nonsense.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Love when callers try and curry favor with Francesa by making fun of other callers. Today for example today --

"Mike this is Tony from Staten Island. Your callers today are as crazy as the customers today at my Meat shop. I work at as a butcher and everyone was buying up all the meat today.
    Francesa in disgusted tone "bet the milk too, folks by tonight you won't be able to find a carton of milk."

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thursday, after the snowstorm is mostly a bust: "Folks I knew this storm was going to peter out. I talked to a weatherman all day Tuesday. I knew nothing was going to happen."

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'd love to book his action.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Max Kellerman allegedly came closest . . . but ships that pass in the night . . .
    it's like coaching for Jerry Jones . . . no one with a lick of self-respect would take the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted