1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speak Truth To Power On The FAN, And See Where It Gets You

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Mikey just ripped a caller a new one for pointing out that Francesa constantly refers to the Colt coach as "Cardwell", over the air.

That'll teach you, little man.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was Francesa an all right guy when he started at WFAN or was he always an ass?

I used to listen to him way back when, and he was always somewhat of a know it all, but he wasn't nearly as bad as he is now. I can't imagine listening to him now.

I actually don't understand why they don't get rid of him. He's expensive & he's alienating. He's only famous because he's been on WFAN for twenty years. (Yes, I know he was on CBS before that.)

If you give someone else that time slot, they'll still have access to good guests and a 50,000 watt megaphone, as long as they're any good, they'll succeed.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Was Francesa an all right guy when he started at WFAN or was he always an ass?

I used to listen to him way back when, and he was always somewhat of a know it all, but he wasn't nearly as bad as he is now. I can't imagine listening to him now.

I actually don't understand why they don't get rid of him. He's expensive & he's alienating. He's only famous because he's been on WFAN for twenty years. (Yes, I know he was on CBS before that.)

If you give someone else that time slot, they'll still have access to good guests and a 50,000 watt megaphone, as long as they're any good, they'll succeed.
    [/quote]

Francesa was usually an ass, but he had to share the timeslot with Russo, so he didn't take up as much hot air.

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Francesa was always something of a pompous ass who insulted people he thought were beneath him (pretty much everyone) and thought he was better than he really was. But Russo, whether intentionally or unintentionally, kept him in check some, at least on the air. Now that Russo is gone, Francesa is near-impossible to listen to.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Out here in the hinterlands, when we first saw Francesca putting the anal in analysts during CBS coverage of the NCAA tournament, the most popular question was, "Who the hell is this guy, and why did they bother?" It seemed like for every game he picked one team "by da narrowest of mauh-gins."

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fortunately, he went the way of short shorts and knee-high socks...

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

They don't get rid of him precisely for the reasons you listed. People tune in to scream "FUCK YOU YOU FAT WINDBAG YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!!" He NEVER admits to being wrong--ever. If he did, he wouldn't draw as many listeners. People call in to tell him he's a know-nothing ass. He hangs up on them. Listeners shake with rage. And they continue to listen, because he appeals to some Pavlovian urge to see a bullying asshole get his comeuppance, even when it never happens.

If he were to come on the air and say "You know what, you got me, the Jets made it to the AFC title game, I was wrong. I also mispronounced Jim Caldwell's name all year long," well, all the fun would be gone.

He will pull MONSTER numbers as long as he's in that time slot, and he is like Leno there...he'll die on the job. He ain't retiring, ever. And pretty soon, Mad Dog will come back from the failed experiment that was satellite radio and they will rule the airwaves for another 10 years, at least, health willing.

And if you want fun, watch his YES simulcast when he does remotes. Then you can see the Nantz-like body language of his guests up close (relatively speaking). Hilarious, hilarious stuff.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The first hour of listener calls on Monday will be sheer joy.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He does not seem to refer to Bill Parcells much anymore. I am wondering if the two had a falling out.

10. YankeeFan

There was an article a while ago that said they're not very close anymore & don't really talk.

I can't remember if there was a reason given.

11. YankeeFan

I can play 77 WABC on my iPhone -- they've even got there own app -- so I just checked to see if I can bring up WFAN, but you need a flash player, which the iPhone doesn't support.

Oh well.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There is a separate app for that... it is AOL Radio. In there, you can get WFAN, WCBS, etc. The only downside is that WFAN streams repeat broadcasts of bad shows during Mets games.

BYH, I'm not sure that you are right on this. There are certainly people that listen to Francessa for the same reason that some listen to Limbaugh, to get riled up, but there are a lot more people that truly believe that Francessa knows what he's talking about and has some contacts.

You and I know that this isn't exactly true, but that doesn't mean the rest of the populace does. I have friends that think the guy knows everything and have bought in to him as some prophetic voice.

Draft saved Draft deleted