1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sparty football players storm a dorm, slap women, assorted mayhem, etc.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When the numbers of the "few idiots" start ranging into the double digits, you're talking a significant fraction of the team.

You punish the entire group for the actions of a few to enforce a sense of shared responsibility and peer pressure to not do this kind of shit again. Presumably when and if some of the suspended players return and suggest engaging in more hijinks, their non-suspended teammates are gonna tell them in no uncertain terms what they can do with their suggestion.

It doesn't always work, but at some point you might as well try.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And also, missing that many players, your depth would be razor thin at some positions, which could then set up a possible 50-point loss in a bowl.

3. Starman

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/wires/12/09/2060.ap.fbc.michigan.state.suspensions.2nd.ld.writethru.0360/

Criminal charges brought against nine players. Three more suspended in addition to those previously announced.

No word yet on the additional dozen or so referred in many reports.

Eagerly awaiting the next puff piece about the "discipline" Dantonio has brought to the program. :D :D :D :D

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

YOU'RE citing a Drew Sharp piece?

5. Starman

Basically to show the unanimity of virtually all columnists in SE Michigan on the matter.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Texas Tech -7.

That's our line for the game.

Michigan State will be missing 13 players and about five starters including a bunch of receivers and their No.1 cornerback on a team that can't cover anyone!

This is either
    A. The biggest trap game ever
    B. The closest thing to free money ever.
    C. Both

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And a 14th player is out for the bowl game after getting and MIP and getting caught urinating in public.

This is his second strike after getting in an altercation last year with Winston who was also kicked off the team. His brother is also a U-M recruit.

http://freep.com/article/20091210/SPORTS07/91210028/1319/

8. Starman

Blazing Saddles-jacking:

"Piss on you, I'm working for Mark Dantonio!" :eek: :eek:

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I think it's nuts that there's a line on this game.

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Mustang and I both know Myles' father, who is a good man. I feel terrible for him, that his family's name is being dragged through the mud.

An unfortunate side effect is that Myles' father is a principal of a large high school and cracked down on lax discipline as soon as he arrived. I imagine some kids will say that if he can't control his son, why the hell should they listen to him - even though Myles is an adult. I also imagine that those high school kids are very well aware of what's happening at MSU because said high school is across the street from Michigan Stadium.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I can imagine his father is pretty furious right now.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Here's a nice little story about how Jenrette was let back on the team after being charged with a felony for burglary in Florida. Yay!

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20091211/GW01/912110327&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Draft saved Draft deleted