1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spanish basketball team racist, culturally insensitive or just a bunch of fools?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom_Brinkman01, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not to cross-threadjack, but my first thought when I saw the picture was that maybe the hoopsters were trying to see if they could pass for halfway-attractive Chinese people, pretty enough to to lip-sync at the closing ceremonies.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i did not know that.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Re: Spanish basketball team racist, culturally insensitive or just a bunch of fo

Apparently, "dago" predates "wop" and can be used in reference to a person of Spanish or Italian birth or descent - it stemmed from the given name "Diego."

Hmm, learn something new every day! :D

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was told that WOP was stamped on the hands of italian immigrants who came to the US without documentation back in the day ... WOP, or without papers.

and good to have you back, double j.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Another thread of whining about "bigots and meanies" by some of the politically correct among us.

Lighten up will ya?

They were having some fun, if it ain't your kind of humor then don't laugh and cheer for France or something.

My God, why do these things all have to take on a life of their own just to appease the whiny assholes who walk around with a stick up their ass.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You are the only enlightened one among us as usual, zag. Next time let's put the gymnastics team in blackface! Hilarious!

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That would be kind of funny to be honest

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm going to go out on a limb here and say: blowitoutyourassdouchenozzle.

there, it's out there.

9. ArnoldBabar

No points for subtlety.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i didn't want to play blackface ... he's not smart enough to go there.

11. ArnoldBabar

If your goal is to find something he'll comprehend, my friend, I fear you are in for nothing but disappointment.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hear any good white person slurs lately? I hope "honky" makes a comeback.

Draft saved Draft deleted