1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Space Needle, Edward Scissorhands ... Penis.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 18, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The scrolling through a Twitter feed -- yeah, let those words sink in -- on live TV was being done in the control room. And when the crash was determined to be a KOMO chopper, it took on that hashtag. But other things, obviously, came up with the same hashtag.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Good god, this seems like an asinine way to run a live news program. But, what do I know?

Hey, they are now " taking immediate steps to prevent such an accident from happening again" so its all good.

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

As I'm at work and this is NSFW, could someone explain what happened? I think I have an idea from the comments here.

And stop being so hard on the guy who let this by

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The local FOX affiliate in Denver scrolled through photos on Twitter with the hashtag #KOMO. They did it live, on the air. Those photos included (a) a photo of the helicopter crash, (b) an omelette, (c) Edward Scissorhands, and (d) a dick.

5. PCLoadLetter

As someone who produces a live TV newscast each day, it floors me that someone thought this was a good idea. Local FOX morning shows tend to be pretty loose affairs, but Jeez, what a dumb idea.

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

You blast out any cock shots recently?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm laughing reading the concise chronology of the events.

8. PCLoadLetter

Pretty well managed to avoid it, thankfully.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm so glad I left TV news in 2008, before the Twitter madness...

10. PCLoadLetter

Honestly, Twitter has made my job easier. I can get information quicker from pretty specific sources. I would never do anything like the blind scrolling of photos the Denver station did, so that's not even an issue.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Agree with PCLL.

I don't like Twitter for writing and communicating. Yet, as a news source, I hardly miss anything in our area now. Just set up a news feed with 60-70 regional sources and I'm covered. We hear something in one place in our market. Go to Twitter -- there's often something there. Helps us find people, witnesses, etc.

Again, you can't use it for information to broadcast (unless it's from an official source) but it makes finding the needle a little easier amid all the damn hay.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If those steps don't include firing the idiot producer who thought this was a good idea then they aren't doing it right.

Draft saved Draft deleted