1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sox fan in enemy territory

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by miroba71, Aug 14, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Sometimes I hate how boring Dallas-Fort Worth fans are, but at least DFW isn't as bad as some places when it comes to wearing opposing gear. When I was a college student and frequented the bleachers at Fenway, I thought it was funny to see people cursing Yankees fans and throwing cups at them. I don't think that's funny any more.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Yeah ... have fun with that.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm sure they were playing up to camera held by the Red Sox fan.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I guess this advice is just so absurd that it doesn't bear mentioning, but it is possible to attend the game without wearing any team gear.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'd say wear all your St. Louis Browns throwback gear...

[​IMG]

Good enough for Satch? Good enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Exactly. Away fan etiquette is sorely lacking in that department.

Be classy. Don't wear your team's colors. If you do, be subtle. Meaning no Terrible Towels!

Other tips:
    -Don't talk about your team's greatness.
    -Cheer. But don't think you're welcome to throw in a comment about a painful memory from home team's past.
    -When I ask you why you're rooting for the road team, don't lie to me. You're a frontrunning gloryhunter. You know it. And I know it. Just say it.
    -If you truly are not a gloryhunting asshole, you're probably not wearing the team gear and you're sitting next to me having a pleasant conversation about the game - knowing and respecting the boundaries of good taste the whole time.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In short ... if you're a visiting fan STFU.

Since I live a bajillion miles from Pittsburgh, most of my games are road games. I'm very respectful of the home fans if for no other reason than I'm outnumbered (except at Texas Stadium a few years ago). I don't trash talk. The only time you'll see me standing is during the Anthem or when the people in front of me stand up and I can't see.

Feel free to curse me. Feel free to mock me or my team. Say the rudest, most mean-spirited, vilest things you can imagine. But do not lay a fucking hand on me.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Inky, if NOLU tries to set that Terrible Towel on fire, I got your back.

Honestly, I don't see why it would be a big deal to wear the road team's gear to a game if you're a fan. I can't see the Steelers at home, I have to see them elsewhere. And when I go to a game, I will wear my Steelers jersey and I will bring a Terrible Towel. Seeing as to how I won't talk smack to the home fans, how I remain respectful and don't ruffle feathers with my words and/or actions, no one should have any trouble with me.

Which means if there is any trouble, that means the problem lies with them.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Draft saved Draft deleted