1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southwest grounds 80 planes after mid-air incident

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Southwest Airlines grounded 80 planes today after a hole opened up in the fuselage on a flight from Phoenix to Sacramento on Friday. The pilots did a great job and quickly got the plane to a safe altitude, and no one was injured.
    Scary, scary stuff.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110402/ap_on_re_us/us_southwest_flight_diverted

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They need some red tape.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Holy fuckity fuck.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sounds like the pilots did a pretty good job recognizing the loss of pressure and getting to a safe altitude. At those altitudes, you have a matter of seconds before unconsciousness.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Did the fuselage say, "wanna get away?"

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

See what happens when you don't charge for bags?[/bydesign77]

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In the story I think it said 10-20 seconds before they'd lose "useful consciousness." Does the same apply to the passengers? And this might be a dumb question, but if you pass out in those 10-20 seconds will you revive when you get to a lower altitude? Or would there be brain damage, coma, etc.?
    Also said there was a Greek airliner a couple years back where the pilots didn't get the masks on in time and slammed into a mountain.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yep. Same applies to everyone. You'll wake up as soon as the pressure puts the oxygen back into your blood. No brain damage, that I know of. I passed out in the altitude chamber during flight school, but I don't remember at what altitude. I remember at like 20K, I started laughing uncontrollably and couldn't write my name.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Interesting. I wonder if, on the private planes where this happens (like the Payne Stewart flight), the people started to stir before they impacted.
    No idea why I'm wondering this. It's morbid, I know. Just curious.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

With Payne's, I'm pretty sure it was depressurized and high enough that the plane froze over. I remember reports that the windows were iced over, meaning they had frozen to death long before the plane hit the ground.

Edit: Yep.

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1904192-5,00.html

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I seem to remember Stewart's plane reported as flying abnormally high while they were chasing it. Something like 50,000 or 60,000 feet.

There was another sports-related incident like that, too. Back in 1979, LSU football coach Bo Rein was on a recruiting trip in Shreveport. On the flight back to Baton Rouge, the Cessna apparently lost cabin pressure, veered off course and eventually crashed off the coast of Virginia. Rein and the pilot died, their bodies never recovered.
    It sounds almost identical to what happened to Payne Stewart's plane.

From Wiki:

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I likes that

Draft saved Draft deleted