1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southwest Florida journos attempting to unionize

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

rb

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I’m totally in favor of this, but it seems like too little too late. Unless they’re willing to strike to get a contract — and other locals would have to join and not cross that virtual picket line — the organization efforts, while laudable, seem largely symbolic. I’d love to hear otherwise.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

It's not just the southwest, the Orlando Sentinel and Palm Beach Post have also unionized.

4. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

I'm asking this because I honestly don't know, what good would unionizing do when at this point people are still going to be let go? I believe the News-Press has already lost it's building, already lost most of its staff and really lost its identity.

Is this mostly just to try and have a voice in the room when the next hits happen?

5. Severian

Having a union makes management unilterally firing people much more difficult. It also brings management to the table regarding pay, working conditions, retirement and how people get cut, if need be. Unions are much-needed in newsrooms.

6. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

Why?

If there’s a financial tailspin, and there clearly is, why would it make it tougher to get rid of people?

Maybe this is the question: How could a newsroom union have any leverage in this kind of climate?

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I agree. I'm all for unions but I wonder how they have any effect when papers are out of money and going bankrupt, etc. I was thinking many veteran journalist stars have been cut at papers that are unionized.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Because layoffs have to be negotiated if you’re a guild or union. Management is required to show financials to see if there are alternatives to layoffs. Being union doesn’t prevent layoffs but it does help you go into a four corners.

9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Unions can also bargain for better severance packages and healthcare benefits for those who do get laid off.

Non-union layoffs get whatever the company feels like.

10. Severian

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted