1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SouthWEST???? Conference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Apr 9, 2007.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Was just watching ESPN's 90-minute endlessly looped SportsCenter when I heard co-host John Anderson say "news from the Southwest Conference'' and then discuss the reports of Texas A&M possibly hiring Mark Turgeon as its next hoops coach.
    Guess it's a slip of the tongue, but Texas A&M was last in the Southwest Conference in 1995-96.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Southwest Conference was last in the Southwest Conference in 1995-96, too.

Sometimes they talk about the NHL Norris Division, too.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Yeah, but that's HOCKEY.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Methinks he was being facetious.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Two of us in our office – both old-school, of course – made the same mistake last season in referencing New Orleans, Atlanta and the other teams in the NFC West. Ouch.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Anderson might be the worst regular SportsCenter anchor not named Stewart Scott (I'm not counting Berman).

7. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Completely disagree. John is a professional, and very good at what he does.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It was a better world when the SWC was in existence and nationally competitive.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I have to give that a Burt Reynolds laugh. What - SMU and Houston breaking every rule in the NCAA handbook wasn't enough? Pastor Byron Hanspard's 0.0 GPA didn't do it for you?

Maybe it was a better world in Sammy Baugh and Doak Walker's days. Near the end the SWC played the Exxon Valdez while scruples played the shoreline.

I will say that I miss the 1980s style of college football, in which Florida State and Miami took over mostly because the powers that were insisted on the wishbone and 5-2 defenses.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Anderson is a Mizzou guy. He knows who's in the Big 12.
    It was a joke.
    I guess he left off the sarcasm font.
    And he's terrific at everything ESPN asks him to do.

11. somewriter

somewriter Member

I've caught myself saying Phoenix Cardinals so I'm not going to kill the guy.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

He was reporting on the changes at Arkansas and Texas A&M... both schools from the old SWC... Seems to me it was intentional, and if you missed it, you missed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted