1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southland

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John, Apr 9, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Enjoyed Southland a lot. Watched the first two episodes back to back last night on the DVR. We'll definitely be back for more next week.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Yeah, i was wondering about the C. Thomas howell thing also. Anyone know what was up with that. It seemed like a couple of days went by, but wasn't he shot the fuck up?

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I assume they're not on a strict timeline. But I really thought the dude was dead ... or at least in mortal danger. But the next ep, he's up there cracking jokes. Just weird.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just watched the shooting scene from the premiere again. He was hit about three times center mass. While they never showed it or said so, you can pretty much guarantee any cop in that part of LA is wearing a vest. He probably had seriously painful bruising, but probably not much worse.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yeah, really weird continuity problem with the show. I mean, scene at the hospital in the pilot suggests he's fine (rookie went to the hospital, runs into the blond and asks "How's he doing?" She says he's fine), but then if it's nothing much, why did rookie stay at the hospital all night? Next ep was supposed to be the next day or two, and dude's up and joking around, no problems. I don't think I'll be watching any more anyway, so I guess I shouldn't care.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm guessing they liked Howell's character and wanted to bring him back - he's in the upcoming episode as well. But really? three shots center mass shooting with your hands cuffed behind your back?

7. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

I don't think he was staying for Howell. I think he was staying to see how the boy in the original shooting was going to make out.

Tonight's episode was pretty entertaining I thought. It looks like it's slowly picking up speed.

Oh, and as screwed up as his personal life got in recent years, I still love Tom Sizemore.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had it on while I was working and despite my intention of ditching this show I was getting into it. There's plenty I still don't like, but I like what they're doing with rookie cop and his partner. Developing that relationship really well, actually.

9. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Killick,

I actually thought the whole bit with the basketball player was hilarious. Dude had a sweet mansion though. I like that swimming pool underneath the dining room.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Apparently the show is doing well and will probably make the fall schedule. Still don't understand the C. Thomas Howell thing, gets shot one week, retires the next, changes his mind and is back on the street in the next one. They really need to do something though about focus. It's all over the place. Maybe if they did the Lost thing and started focusing on particular characters each episode, because now it's all over the place.

11. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Dan, I see your point, but it's almost like they're deliberately trying to be all over the place in an effort how unpredictable a typical day on the force is. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit but so far, through three episodes, I like it.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I liked Ben McKenzie on "The O.C.", and I like him here.

Draft saved Draft deleted