1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southland

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John, Apr 9, 2009.

1. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Where's Seth?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Can't believe they shot C. Thomas Howell. I liked it, but I've got to think the network watered down the original script a bit. It's a like Nicoderm patch for The Shield.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Just got around to watching ABC's "The Unusuals" -- now that is a cop show with some promise. Very clever, very funny.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

in oklahoma, not arizona, what does it matter?

5. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Anybody watch last night's episode? I kind of like the realistic feel they're going for with the different camera angles and such. Looks like COPS but with a script.

6. jps

jps Active Member

forced myself through last night. 30 minutes in, looked up thinking we were about out of time, and see it's only midway. really dragged, and don't think I'll be back.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I just watched the pilot this afternoon (I've got Ep. 2 on the DVR) and I liked it. Is the second one kind of a shifting timeline as well? I'll get to it over the weekend, probably.

One small thing: I thought the bleeping of swear words was odd.

8. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Yes, the second one is a shifting timeline. It looks like the format is going to be a critical opening scene that actually takes place near the end, and then the episode backtracks through the events leading up to that scene.

And I also think the bleeping of the swear words is odd. I mean, I guess they want to give off a true sense of realism, but that's better suited for HBO where they can swear at will.

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I caught up with the first two episodes and thought it was a pretty good show. I'll keep watching. The bleeping of the swear words didn't really bother me. I think it's more realistic to have them cursing, and obviously they can't on network TV. I was fine with it.
    Was that C. Thomas Howell who got shot? Then in the second episode he is completely back to normal and having a retirement party? That was odd. But I'm looking forward to seeing Tom Sizemore next week.
    I also want to check out "The Unusuals" but I keep forgetting to set the DVR.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Neither show is a "must-see." The detectives on Southland don't add anything to the show. The detectives on the Unusuals aren't half as interesting or funny as the crew from the departed Life on Mars.

Maybe its time we get back to some private eye shows. Magnum, Rockford, Spenser...

11. andrews_mom

andrews_mom New Member

Thought the first 2 episodes of Southland were pretty good. Loving Regina King. Hope they don't cancel this one. Couldn't get into the Unusuals.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Southland felt pretty pointless. Caught the second episode and only Regina King's subplot went anywhere. The rest of it felt like filler with no real point. And the bleeped-out curse words? Just stupid.

I like the Unusuals much better. ABC's got a pretty solid Wednesday night lineup with Scrubs, Better Off Ted, Lost and The Unusuals. I pretty much watch the whole block.

Draft saved Draft deleted