1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southland

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John, Apr 9, 2009.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Did anybody watch the premiere tonight?

I thought it was good, and the show has the potential to be very good. Regina King is always great and the guy who played Bull in Band of Brothers was strong, as well.

That said, it seems a little too serious and dark to last at a time when people would prefer to watch C-list celebrities dance.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Recording it a little later. From the previews it looks a bit melodramatic, but I'll give it a shot.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

It was definitely worth watching... Glad I had the DVR set.
    I'll keep going with that show...

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Saw the top of the show, Cudlitz is always good (he's the training officer), I'll watch the re-air on Saturday.

5. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

I thought it was very good and hard-hitting. It looks like they're trying to push the envelope with the graphic violence and strong language, even bleeping out some of the exchanges, but it kept me riveted for the full hour.

Actually, this sort of made me miss Third Watch a little more. Whatever happened to that show?

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Pretty cool show.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I watched, just couldn't get into it. The last thing I want to watch is a hard-ass cop show... the kind of thing that makes you think that somewhere, the Rodney King case defendants are getting a hard-on watching it.

That said, Regina King was good. The kid (rookie cop) was alright. And though I really dig Cudlitz, I just didn't want to watch him in this role -- especially the whole "don't let the civilians get over on you" thing.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Third Watch is on on reruns every morning at 7 on A&E (?) I think. It had a pretty good run, from the mid 90s until well after 9-11. I never realized that. Don't know why the peacock cancelled.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I thought it was very good except for the lame speech Cudlitz's character gave Ben McKenzie at the end. Lame. Forced. Not necessary. Also, Sepinwall pointed it out like it was bad think, but I enjoyed the meta moments when they Cudlitz was making cracks about McKenzie's being all "Beverly Hills 90210" when Cudlitz actually played Brenda's prom date on 90210.

10. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Thanks. I have seen those re-runs but just didn't remember when it officially ended its run.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Taped it, haven't watched yet. Would commit to watching a full season if NBC would ease up with the commercials ...

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Just got around to watching. Ended up thinking, "That was it?" A lot of hype for what is so far a thoroughly unexceptional cop procedural. I'll watch again, I guess, but it didn't exactly wow me.

And something about beeping out cuss words in scripted shows annoys the hell out of me.

Draft saved Draft deleted