1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southland Returns!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Mira

Mira Member

I love this show. The acting, the writing, the production, the camera work ... the attention to detail ... all is outstanding. Every episode socks me in the gut with the range of emotions. Lou Diamond Phillips and C. Thomas Howell are incredible in the roles they play. And Lucy Liu is a great addition. The video was unbelievable. I didn't expect that.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Just watched the second episode of the season... Another home run... Really well done. Just not sure what the piece of paper was at the end of the episode.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

McDonald's application. It's become the running joke.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

One thing I don't get is that cop was caught on camera punching a teenage girl and he doesn't even get a suspension/relegated to desk duty?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Because his partner backed up his actions as being necessary and defensible ... even though he softly reamed his ass out minutes later.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This show is the tits. Hard to believe it didn't do well enough for NBC to keep it around a few years back. Either way, it's still on, and I'm happy.

The young kid, Sherman, seems to be getting a little full of himself lately, though. Can't wait till he's paired with his old partner, which you'd think is coming soon since Lucy Liu is only a "special guest star" or whatever.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Curious thing, the Lucy Liu tag. She's a "special guest star" because she's contracted for one full season only. I don't recall the "special guest star" tag ever being used like that before.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

As I recall, "Southland" was a casualty of NBC totally eliminating its 10pm drama programs when it ran "The Jay Leno Show" for awhile. I don't think it was doing gangbuster numbers, mind, but in a less-weird situation it might've had a longer network life.

Which may not've been creatively positive for the show. TNT seems like it lets them do more of what they actually want the show to be.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I was worried about Southland after Texas State and Texas-San Antonio left for the WAC. But they picked up Oral Roberts, so things are looking up.

Oh wait...sorry, got confused.

10. JackReacher

Did anyone else watch this season, which ended Wednesday night?

This show just keeps getting better and better. The next-to-last episode was one hell of an hour of television. Just riveting. Probably my favorite episode since the Gus episode of Breaking Bad.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I watched and agree completely about the next-to-last episode, although I thought the season as a whole was great.

Sad that it might be on the chopping block, but if so, it's been five good (mini) seasons.

12. JackReacher

Yeah. I really enjoyed the entire season.

I haven't heard anything about it being renewed. I certainly hope it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted