1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southland Returns!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jan 18, 2012.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Watched the season premiere of Southland last night and wow was that fun. The range of emotions that the show raises is wider than any other I've watched. Funny thing is I was in downtown LA this last Friday and when I went to lunch with a client on a sidewalk restaurant there were 6 of LA's finest sitting at an outdoor table and it looked like it was right out of Southland.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I love the show. I thought last night's episode was really good. Agree completely with qt on the range of emotions.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Wow. Didn't realize it was back. I need to watch it OnDemand. Such a great show. I really like it, because it's not just a detective or beat cop show, because there are plenty of those out there that focus on just one branch. It's an overall police show, which adds to the intrigue.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Good start ... and Lucy Liu!

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

DVR'ed the first episode, definitely looking forward to it.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It's great watching for after the late edition of Inside the NBA. I caught on to it during the playoffs because after TNT would come off the air, it would often go right into an episode of Southland. Wasn't long before I was hooked.

7. joe

joe Active Member

For those who remember, it has a little bit of "Hill Street Blues" in it. Like "HSB," it allows the protagonists to develop over time, unpeeling their personalities like an onion. It's not like "HSB" stylistically or in overall theme, but it's a damn good show. I wish I had TNT so I could watch the new season.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Excellent opening episode.
    The thing Southland does best, maybe even is in danger of overdoing, is the foot chase. Other shows, a guy runs a few feet, gets tackled, it's so obviously choreographed. In Southland, lungs are burning, arms are flailing, you are running with the cop. Breath gets raspy, people fall to the pavement and actually get hurt, instead of bouncing up with a quip. The cops are tired and off-balance when they catch up, the perps are tired, they're lunging at one another. Good stuff.

The little things are done so well. Like the gay cop misreading Lucy Liu's statements twice, once when she mentions rehab, and he thinks she knows about his pill-popping, but she's talking about his back injury, then again when she says she wanted to partnter with him because she didn't think he'd hit on her, and he thinks she knows he's gay, but it turns out she's heard he's "squared away," a by-the-book guy.

And the shootout scene in the precinct. Holy crap.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Plus the "have you seen the video yet?" comments about Lucy got me thinking one way, then actually seeing the video? Damn.

The shootout was brutal.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Was the gunman in the precinct the same guy arguing with the coffee shop owner near the food truck?

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I thought that maybe too, but I'm not sure either.

12. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

The shooter at the station wore the same light brown coat, the same blue shirt and had the same facial hair and haircut as the guy at the outdoor cafe. So in all likelihood was the same guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted