1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Va. mystery SE posting

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

It's not Martinsville -- I just talked to the current SE there (he used to work for me at another hellhole), and he said this posting and the last one like it weren't from the Bulletin ...

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What if this is an ad for a preemptive firing? It would make sense that the current SE would know nothing about it.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's odd (I remember you saying this now, come to think of it), because this reads an awful lot like a Bulletin ad, particularly the emphasis on "preps and racing". And southern Virginia has surprisingly few daily papers (Norfolk, Danville, Petersburg, Lynchburg, Martinsville, Bristol, all of whom identify themselves in their ads, even if M'ville shouldn't).

My suspicion: the Southwest Times of Pulaski. A tiny paper, perhaps they'd be willing to hide their identity to get a curious e-mail or three. If it's them, allow me to take the time to bust on their VT shooting coverage, since it's almost all AP and they're as close to Blacksburg as any other daily paper. Fine, you're not going to hang with the big papers on this story, but it's probably the biggest news event in Southwest Virginia history; you've GOT to have a presence.

If it's not them, I have no idea.

EDIT: Forgot about Suffolk, which is easy to do even when you're from the area like I am. But they've identified themselves in their most recent job postings, and they don't have a track near them ever since the one about 30 minutes west closed. So scratch that.

4. Pulaski has a daily?!
    :eek:

I went to school down there and never heard of it.
    Is it very big?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yep. Circulation is about 4,000, making it the second-smallest daily in the state, ahead of Suffolk. I always forget it exists.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Martinsville's is about 18-20K if anyone is interested. Also I believe since late 2002 they've gone through seven SE

7. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Any paper that posts a job without giving its name loses complete credibility in my book. If anyone is even considering applying, you should just send them a resume with no name or contact info except a hotmail e-mail address. It's only fair, right?

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

You're right on Drew. And we're all only assuming it's Martinsville. If it is you know what credibility or lack there of they have. I mean you work in the next town over I'm sure you've heard the horror stories and seen all the faces that come and go there.

9. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

I know I don't have enough fingers and I might not have enough toes to count every sports person that has made a brief stop in Martinsville in the last three years. They've had some decent folks come through, and the current group are all good people who have the unfortunate luck of working there. In my time in Danville, I've had a few former Bulletin guys come to work in Danville and I've heard my share of horror stories. But my post above about the credibilty of the paper that posted this opening goes for any paper, not just Martinsville.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i knew a publisher who was proud to be friends with the ME, because there are so many stories circulating about this person. the publisher was a cockbag, i can only guess.

11. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I've e-mail to ask where the paper is located. So far, after about 18 hours, no reply.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Cockbag. Word of the day.

Today, let's try to use it as a verb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.