1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Va. mystery SE posting

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Never good when you have to ask special permission to go cover a local team if it plays more than five minutes outside of town.

And I don't believe overtime is in their dictionary. My understanding is that once you hit 40 hours, you stopped getting paid even if the work isn't done.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Is that legal?

EDIT: I've always either been salaried, paid overtime or forced out the door after 40 hours, so I'm legitimately asking how papers get away with this.

3. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Good question. I'm not sure. That's just what I was once told by a Bulletin writer

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

No, but a lot of shops do that.

At one stop, we were paid salary, but they made us punch in and out. Someone complained to the labor board about the hours (which were usually more than 40). The company was investigated and ended up having to pay back overtime.

I had already left, but they have to try to contact you to send your check.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I remember you mentioning something about that. Didn't you get a couple thou?

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Nope, totally not legal. If you are hourly, you either get OT or go home. If you are salaried, you get come time.

My last paper got busted for this and paid big time. National Labor Relations Board came down hard on their asses. Unfortunately, I missed out on that treat.

But the editor threes editors ago used to change time cards to lessen people's OT. He was a real fucker.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I'm not 100 percent sure this is a Martinsville job b/c I thought they accepted via hotmail. If it is I have tons of horror stories about the former sweatshirt capitol of the world. PM me if interested.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

About $500. Probably didn't cover all the OT, but it was something.

The company forcing us to punch in like they did, probably cost the company some money, since they had time records on file.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

4) Smoke rock with Oliver McCall

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the ME or the editor?

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Has anyone tracked down Tucker? That local line made me perk up.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Wait, and I'm being completely serious...there are people in this business who work 40 hours and then stop working? Or who work 40 hours and then get paid overtime, even when they put in 60 hour weeks?

Because I've never done that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.