1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern tornadoes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Mar 2, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was sitting in the safest place in Birmingham -- the bowels of the BJCC Arena -- when reports came in about the tornado in Enterprise that ripped through the school and the community.
    The sports editor there was quiet(er than usual) and one of the TV cameraman who is usually a bitter fuck about life -- was visiblity upset.

Closer to home, one racked up an neighborhood about 2 miles from me in Hooterville....
    Was some scary shit yesterday...

http://www.dothaneagle.com/

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070302/ap_on_re_us/tornadoes

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My wife and I were at a shopping center yesterday afternoon and left when the rain started coming down.

After our 50-minute drive home, reports of a twister moving through the very area we were just in came on the TV. Close call.

But, having lived in the Midwest before, these sort of things are not uncommon to me.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've written before about my Personal Close Brush of '99. I still don't fear twisters but now I have a healthy respect for them.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I hope the boll weevil monument in Enterprise emerged unscathed.

5. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

LJB, Odd, but I wondered about the statue as well. It's the greatest tribute statue in the world.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

We had some seriously unstable weather in my corner of the world. But nothing near what was reported out of Enterprise.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I agree. It's the only statue that glorifies a gigantic pain in the arse. Respect out, yo!

[​IMG]

8. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I wonder how Colin Cowherd feels about his "tornado bait" comment now?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He'd have to have feelings to feel anything....

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

By the way, nice to see Dubya down there comforting people in Sweet Home Alabama - a former haunt of mine, though much farther north.
    After Katrina, he apparently figured out how to read a map.... too bad he didn't know before then.
    Those people could have used his help.

Draft saved Draft deleted