1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Rock Mount Rushmore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Aren't you from Alabama? I about saw a fight one time at bbq joint in Alabama when we tried to order it the right way ... with slaw.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Cook the whole pig. Pick it clean. Add Eastern North Carolina sauce and some slaw.
    Dang. I'm hungry.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I've lived in Alabama for thirty years or so. Grew up in Georgia, and lived in Houston for eleven years. I understand the regional variations, pork vs beef, mesquite vs hickory, chili vs Brunswick stew. I just never got enough slaw on Q to consider it a normal thing. I've eaten my share of Memphis BBQ. Never been to Kansas City so I can't speak to that.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Rodney Scott opened a BBQ house here cooking whole sides of pork, same as his place in Carolina. It does not come with slaw, and I have never asked if it is available here. He serves two sauce choices, and I strongly suspect that the Rodney sauce is pretty much your NC sauce. Thin, heavy on the vinegar side, not sweet at all.

There are dozens of Q houses here, of course, and Rodney Scott and Saws's just rule. Incredibly flavorful and tender pork. There are four or five Saw's here and they're all great. Try a bowl of pork 'n greens - it's a bowl of grits with turnip greens and pork on top, and it's amazing.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Also in my mix ... Gov’t Mule.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

CDB is a piece of shit these days, but this is one of my favorite songs...

And Skynard might not be the greatest southern rock band, but Freebird live is the greatest southern rock song and one of the greatest songs ever written. Fuck y’all if you disagree. Seriously. It’s fucking epic.

I prefer Live at the Fox Theater

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The thing about Uneasy Rider is Charlie would now be the bad guy rather than the protagonist.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Free Bird is a fucking epic. You can’t shit all over it.

underrated SouthernRoxk anthem

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Free Bird is the most self-indulgent piece of shit Skynyrd ever recorded, doubly so the live version. I like a lot of Skynyrd, and I've drunk at The Jug at 7 a.m. — $1 cans from 6-9 a.m. — but that song sucks out loud.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ramble Tamble, It Came Out of the Sky, Someday Never Comes ... CCR was gold.

heyabbott likes this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It says something about the greatness of CCR that you guys have listed off 14 classic songs... and not one of you even mentioned "Fortunate Son."

12. Neutral Corner

I was there, for one night of it anyway. Same for Jimmy Buffet's "You Had To Be There" live album at the Fox. I saw so many great shows in that house. Genesis with Peter Gabriel. The Stones on the "Some Girls" tour. Little Feat several times, including a double bill with Bonnie Raitt. The Dead. Many more.

One of my great regrets with regards to concerts is that I had tickets to Skynyrd's Street Survivors tour. The plane crash erased that show. I turned the tickets in for a refund of my $30-40. At the time I needed the money more than the pieces of cardboard.

You have no idea how much I wish they were in a frame hanging on my wall instead.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted