1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Rock Mount Rushmore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Keith Richards will happily tell you what an influence Rodgers was on the Stones, but I agree. Hell, BBQ threads get mean fast, and I'm as guilty as the next opinionated asshole about it.

I'll never understand why someone would want to ruin a perfectly good smoked meat sandwich by putting an ice cream scoop of cole slaw on top of it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Keef on Jimmie Rodgers content. Really good interview, I think largely because it's not just another interview with Keith, it's two guitarists talking guitar. He opens up more than usual.

I love all his old bluesman mannerisms too, all the grunts and humphs and rheumy coughs. I've heard some of those sounds most of my life - although not normally from someone with an English accent.

The bits on five string guitar - I bet he got that from Ry around the time of "Let it Bleed", because that sound is all over "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile on Main Street".

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I was anti-slaw on sandwiches for most of my life. Then I married into a family in the Delta. Now I have learned to go with the flow when I'm near the Mississippi and I've learned to like it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Meh. I'd eat it if I had to, but if I got served that unawares I'd probably scrape the slaw off.

Pat James' original BBQ house here serves their Q with a mustard based chow-chow. I don't like that either. Meat, smoke, sauce, and I'm good.

5. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Can I like a post more than once? Where We All Belong was and is one of my all time favorite albums. This was a double album and one was studio and one was live. The live album which had 24 Hours At A Time was recorded in Milwaukee in '74 and this tune featured Charlie Daniels on the fiddle. If I remember correctly, Elvin Bishop also played on this album. When Tommy Caldwell died in a car accident they were never the same.

But back to the OP...MTB, Allman Brothers, Skynyrd and Charlie Daniels (I hate his current political stance but Long Haired Country Boy alone deserves this rank as far as I am concerned).

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Alan Paul's great oral bio of the Allmans, One Way Out, discusses this.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Which I have not heard and need to find. Thanks.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It covers all the bases and has interviews with all the living principals (this was done before Gregg and Butch Trucks died). Definitive.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

>grin<

I started listening to WRAS, college FM radio at GSU in Atlanta around 1971. The first song that I remember hearing first on that station was the Allman's "Revival". I loved the song, and I remember that when the DJ did the outro I thought he said Osmond Brothers and did a huge double take. I was 14, 15. 1971 or so.

11. Neutral Corner

"At Fillmore East went gold on October 25th, 1971. Four days later my brother was dead."

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

One Way Out does address the possibility of Duane leaving the ABB to join Derek and the Dominos (or whatever Clapton project came along). I think Duane would have eventually left to do something else or if he had stayed perhaps the massive dysfunction that came in the wake of his death would have been lessened. He was the leader of the ABB and when he died the ship became rudderless and a power struggle between Dickey and Gregg.

Draft saved Draft deleted