1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Rock Mount Rushmore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Who you got?
    I have seen the original or some incarnation of the Southern Rock Pantheon. If I was only ever allowed to listen to one genre of music for the rest of my life, it would be Southern Rock.
    So, if you are a fan of Southern Rock, and you only get four (acts, not people), who goes on your Mount Rushmore?

Lynyrd Skynyrd - the gold standard
    Allman Brothers - maybe started it
    The Outlaws - my personal favorite
    Molly Hatchet - some of the best songs

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Definitely Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers...

After that I have to put ZZ Top in there. After that I'm kind of torn....38 Special maybe, Marshall Tucker Band, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Molly Hatchet, even the Black Crowes have earned a spot in the discussion.

Right now Blackberry Smoke, Black Stone Cherry....even Zac Brown Band....There are a few acts still putting out good music that can fight for that fourth spot.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Jason and the Nashville Scorchers
    B-52s
    REM
    Pylon

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Hate his politics and his racist bullshit but Charlie Daniels at least deserves to be in the conversation.

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Allmans
    Skynerd
    Marshall Tucker
    Little Feat

heyabbott likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just put Duane Allman and Dicky Betts up there and skip the rest of the monument. And I didn't realize Elvis is no longer considered southern.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, perhaps?

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

If you go by Southerners who played rock music, then that is one group. If you go by “southern rock,” which is a much narrower vein of music, then really the first four mentioned fit the bill.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Skynyrd and Allmans, for sure. After that a pick-em between Molly Hatchet, .38 Special, Marshal Tucker, CDB. Truthfully, as big as we think their impact is, there weren't a whole hell of a lot of groups that can be considered Southern Rock.

ZZ Top is Texas blues, definitely not Southern Rock. Tom Petty was rock, but not Southern Rock.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Thin Lizzy, which wasn’t Southern at all ( in fact they were Irish) and had three really popular tracks if you squint hard enough, will demand a place on the mount.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Classics IV
    Atlanta Rhythm Section

misterbc likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I love me some Lowell George, and Atlanta and the Feat had a love affair, but Little Feat was an L.A. band.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted