1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Illinois' Daily Egyptian ices reader comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ServeItUp, Apr 27, 2009.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Of all the papers to pull the plug, a college daily?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They must have finally gotten tired of the Mohammed cartoon debate that was still ongoing on their site.
  3. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Unless you're willing to sign your real name to comments, you should not be allowed to make them.
  4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

As I've said million times, for most of us in this business, reader comment and interaction aren't going anywhere. "This is the business we've chosen." And that's the way it is today -- you're going to be seeing a lot more of this, not less.

That said, I liked her column in most ways. Not that the offenders will care.
  5. RickStain

You made free speech cry.
  6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You are still free to say what you want to say. You just have to put a name to it.
  7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Goodbye, message boards?
  8. RickStain

Allow me to let the Supreme Court speak for me:

"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse. Allowing dissenters to shield their identities frees them to express critical, minority views . . . Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. . . . It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights, and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation . . . at the hand of an intolerant society."
    (quote courtesy Electronic Frontiers Foundation).

The history of anonymous speech is deep and important. Throwing it out because of a few jerky commenters would be a catastrophic mistake.
  9. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I agree anonymous speech has its place, but I think it's a bit far-reaching to imply newspapers axing reader comments is somehow an attack on it (and, personally, I don't think a newspaper is the proper forum for anonymous speech). It's every paper's choice as to whether or not they want to make their Web sites a forum for feces-slinging howler monkeys (for the record, I think properly moderated reader comments could be valuable discussion tools, but papers are trying to do this crap on the cheap and aren't putting the time in to do them properly, so feces-slinging is what they inevitably turn into).

I smiled as I read that editorial. I smiled a lot.
  10. RickStain

Absolutely. It's of course within a paper's rights to not allow comments, and I think they'd be better off doing it.

I was simply responding to "Unless you're willing to sign your real name to comments, you should not be allowed to make them."
  11. This old Saluki liked the column.

That said, I think the simple solution is to moderate the comments.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Forever Town is your real name?
Draft saved Draft deleted