1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Park: Why bother?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Not suprising..
    They did that with the Family Guy episode.. when they censored Muhammed getting that salmon football helmt or some such shit.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's just a steaming pile of fucking horseshit right there.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Between Comedy Central, and the thread on the journalism board about the writer whose column was totally altered as punishment for not making deadlines, what is with these editors? Would it hurt to, if nothing else, notify your content-makers of these changes?

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Okay, so I recorded South Park last night at the 11 p.m. (CST) showing and got a repeat.
    The on screen guide said it was a new episode.
    Are you saying that Comedy Central spiked the show last night because of the backlash fear?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sure sounds like it. A truly gutless move if you ask me.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The terrorists have won again.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The over-censoring of it seemed like a classic Parker/Stone move. Especially the moral at the end.

At least there was still Tom Cruise with Seaman on his back.

9. billikens

billikens Member

I hope I'm not d_bing a conversation that happened on the board yesterday, because I can't remember where I heard this.

Apparently, this week an Islamic group had issued a warning on a message board to Stone and Parker that if they went through with the Mohammed mockery, bad things would happen. They mentioned the murder of Theo van Gogh, who was killed by a Muslim extremist. According to the article below, the address to Stone and Parker's production offices was also posted.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iBq397EsqQzyQ732Mr8RZpIqI24g

I think all of this unfolded Tuesday/yesterday and I'm guessing the executives decided it wasn't worth the risk and bleeped out any reference that could cause controversy.

10. JayFarrar

Okay, so I've gathered a heavily censored version was shown at 9 p.m. and the second viewing that night was spiked.
    And that Stone and Parker did some of the censoring themselves, but then Comedy Central did a bunch more.
    Also, from the South Park folks:
    Many thanks to the nerds at the AV Club for keeping me updated.
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/comedy-central-heavily-censors-last-nights-south-p,40387/

11. JayFarrar

And, dammit, they revealed who Cartman's father was, Scott Tenorman's dad, the guy Cartman killed and fed to his half-brother in a bowl of chili.
    That episode is arguably the best one South Park has ever done and holy cats that is out of left field, I would have never seen that one coming.
    Even though it makes zero sense.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/south-park-episode-is-altered-after-muslim-groups-warning/?src=mv

Draft saved Draft deleted