1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Park crosses the line....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDub, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

South Park has always crossed over the line. The moment they stop doing so, that's when they should stop. While the Steve Irwin joke might have been in bad taste, would it really make a difference if they waited three months or five years to make that joke?

In fact, now that I think about it, this isn't the first time they refused to wait to poke some fun at a recent death. There was "Christmas Time In Hell" from Mr. Hanky's Christmas Classics ...

And there goes John F. Kennedy
    Caroling with his son
    Reunited for the holidays
    God bless us, everyone!

... Same thing then applies here. What you saw Wednesday has already been done before, only with someone else.

2. KP

KP Active Member

The mental image of a manatee sticking out of his chest is pretty good.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Buck: I
    BU
    Buck: It is entertainment man........I know, I know.......what is so entertaining about it? To each their own.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree completely. For South Park, this was way tame...

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm sure not going to rip you for your personal opinion, Chef. We like what we like.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I enjoy the show, and I thought the Irwin bit was funny, although not as funny as Dahmer having sex with a man's entrails.
    I was just saying that compared to some of the situations that have cropped up on the show — and those were just things I thought of off the top of my head — the Irwin thing seemed well within the show's lines.
    I thought it was funny.

But, as I mentioned, that was the point of the joke. People at the party are complaining that Satan should kick the guy out because a Steve Irwin costume is in bad taste. These are evil people who are damned to hell yet they're worried that a Steve Irwin costume is in bad taste. That's the joke.
    Just like the show's producers knew people with no perspective would be offended by the joke.

7. collegewriter

collegewriter Member

No, <A HREF=http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/dog_bites_man/index.jhtml>that's an entirely different</A> Comedy Central show.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Over what line.

The guy is dead.

We can't bring him back.

Now, if it were the Amish girls, then get back to me.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The sad part is, I wouldn't be shocked if they did something about the Amish girls. That's why I don't watch the show. Not that it hasn't been funny when I've watched it, but it's over the top to the point that it bugs me.

I've got no problem with a Steve Irwin joke, though. The man made a career out of putting his life in jeopardy by fucking with animals and once put his child at risk for the cameras. I know that sounds preachy, but he thought he was safe the day he got killed, too, so the thing with the child bothered me.

Play Russian Roulette long enough and eventually you'll pull the trigger with a bullet in the chamber.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I'm surprised all the outcry about this episode involves Steve Irwin, not the priests with naked boys on leashes.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Three Stooges takeoff was momentarily amusing . . but otherwise, this was by
    far the worst effort of the season.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great post...

The episode where Cartman is trying to cold call people to sell aborted fetuses for stem cell research was what jumped out to me...

I laughed so hard I cried.

Draft saved Draft deleted