1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

`South Park' creators plan B'way musical for 2011

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Apr 14, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Mormon episode of South Park was one of their best/funniest, but will they really get away with a musical comedy mocking Mormonism on Broadway?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes.
    They had puppets screwing on stage in Avenue Q. Broadway isn't as button downed as you may think.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've always wanted to see Scott Tenorman Must Die performed by real actors.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I would think saving the world in ImaginationLand might be a good Broadway show.

Especially the scenes where Cartman tries to make Kyle suck his balls.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

This is idea is "Smart, sma, sma, smart, smart smart"

6. Mizzougrad96

They already did Helen Keller: The Musical and they've done several shows with quite a few songs, like the Christmas episode.

Hell, I have at least three CDs filled with songs written by Trey Parker.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm pretty familiar with Broadway.

When I was at CO, we were the "Official Airline of Broadway" and I managed that relationship. And my parents always took us to a show each year, so I've long been a fan.

I'm just wondering how upset Mormons will be and how much of a stink they'll make.

Plus, not every Broadway Musical that is conceived makes it all the way to production.

And in other Broadway news, since I know you're a fan, I saw both Million Dollar Quartet and The Adams Family in Chicago.

Both recently opened on Broadway.

If you liked Jersey Boys, you'll love Quartet. It's a lot of fun. It got a pretty good review in the Times.

Adams got poor reviews in Chicago, and though they made some changes, it was still savaged in the Times. The reviewer said the cast, "tries hard not to look embarrassed."

But it has Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth (Lane was in it when I saw it, but I saw Newirth's understudy) and, while it's not high theater, it was still fun too. It's also sold a shit load of tickets.

8. Mizzougrad96

And Bruce Vilanch as Eric Cartman...

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I loved Jersey Boys - we're putting together a list for our summer visit now. Not sure what we'll see.

The Mormons raising hell will do wonders for this show. My guess is they're hoping this happens.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In this day of political correctness I can see how this show will fly.

11. Mizzougrad96

Trey and Matt were both on TDS last night and Jon Stewart said it was one of the funniest things he had ever seen.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

With a special guest appearance by Brandon Davies?

Draft saved Draft deleted