1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Park — Crack Babies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, May 25, 2011.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't know what EA Sports did to piss off the South Park people, but lordy Stone and Parker dropped the hammer on them.

Same goes for Colorado athletics.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes. But I thought it was unbelievably weak coming off a superior effort last week.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

But tonight was such random bits of weirdness. The hot tub full of KFC gravy, Butters singing karoke, the Slash subplot.

Then you had the over arching social commentary that college athletics is the same thing as slavery, oh and EA sports will screw you if they get the chance.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think it was people making money off of those who can't make money in a sports *cough* NCAA *cough*

But it still begs the question, does EA Sports rip off athletes who appear on the covers of the games?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A great idea, executed in a professional manner.

Loved Cartman and Kyle in full douchebag mode.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I guess I have to watch last week's.

It seems like quite a few episodes have been "How far can we go?" rather than "How funny can we be?"

I'm guessing producing the Book of Mormon has the bulk of their attention and that's why the show has not been up to it's own standards. It was the same deal when they were making the South Park Movie and Team America.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Mormon's frozen, now, and is running itself. But we had to wait for this season of SP until that was the case. Yeah, they're tossed out a couple, this year. But with fewer distractions, better product can be expected.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Parker and Stone would prefer to move on, but they make so much damn money from the show. I think it's something like $100 million a year for 12 episodes. The show's in syndication and it makes a fortune on iTunes, so Comedy Central and the creators are smart enough to keep going.

It's been about 14-15 years now...

9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

What did EA Sports do to Trey and Matt to piss them off that badly? I like the reference to college sports and I love Cartman's Southern-accented slave owner. Hilarious!

As an aside:
    • I definitely want a hot tub of KFC gravy. Sounds nice. Especially after a long night of covering craptastic prep football.
    • I'm disappointed that "Welcome to the Jungle," "Rocket Queen" and "Night Train" were played by my parents. I'm shocked Slash doesn't exist. Damn. :(

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hell yeah, they do.

Their image is worth money. Their names are marketable. Above and beyond the worth of a scholarship. Yet, they're not allowed to collect that money.

11. jr/shotglass

Mizzou, I was wrong. It was two episodes ago. It had to do with Ike. And Canada.

12. jr/shotglass

I thought that was one of the best they've had in the past 4-5 years. Lost it at the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted