1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Florida Sun-Sentinel Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Now this is a job I wouldn't want. Too much work, probably not enough pay, too much stress and pressure, a whole bunch of headaches, and worst of all, probaby very little credit for what you do because your name rarely appears anywhere.

Probably a great job for someone with nothing in their whole life to do but work. No thanks. Next!

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the same thing.

I'm not THAT qualified for this position (but dammit, I coulda worked at the Virginian-Pilot)... but my two cents: Excellent paper, perhaps the best of the Herald/Post/SS threesome in the Miami area. Commitment to everything from high schools to pros, colleges and recreational sports.

It's suffered from its share of Trib-mandated stuff in the past (although space is still excellent on most days), but it's a good read.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

If you don't embrace one of the better sports editing jobs in the country, even with all the turmoil now Zell-Tribune is going through, because there's a lot of work involved, then you're right, it's not for you. But it's a damn good job for somebody.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree. Completely.

5. You're right. It's not for me. And you're right, it is a damn good job for somebody. But I know myself and I know what I would try to do in a job like this. I'd end up stressed out, gray-headed or bald, smoking, hacking up crap and dead in about 10 years. I can be a perfectionist and a job like this would drive me absolutely nuts. It would be challenging but I just don't think the challenge would be worth all the damage it would do to me mentally and physically.

Still a great job and a great paper. I just want to live to see 65.

6. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

A heck of a tough market in which to work, but it's amazing how much stuff there is to cover there. You can do a lot of fun things covering the woeful Dolphins, Marlins and Heat, and not to mention all the preps and college sports and golf and tennis, etc. It's a sharp looking paper, too, and as long as it continues to get the resources should be a great gig.

7. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

I believe resources have tightened a great deal. Could be the reason for B.White choosing to exit.

8. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

Managing editor's a real AHole. She drove Brian out. Also wore down the great Fred Turner before Brian. Two good men who were handcuffed. Fred fought her tooth and nail. Brian was promoted after Fred and never got a chance to execute his authority. She wouldn't let him lead. Used to be a great job. But working for her gets the best of the good ones. Both happy to be gone.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I found myself at first a little put off by what huckleberry said ... and then thought about it, and he's probably right.

This is more tension than a lot of people are going to want in the course of their lives. And yes, myself included.

10. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

But you have to admit, the M.E. knows a lot about sports, so the hands-on approach makes sense.

11. Thanks Shot. I wasn't trying to diss the job, the paper or the people who work there. It's a great place. I've seen it, read it, been all around it. I just don't want to be in the middle of it. I'll enjoy the product they produce from the outside rather than want to be on the inside.

Again, I just want to live to be 65, and have a nice quality of life with my family. I don't want my job to be my life.

12. This is the type of thing that I would fight against and why I would end up dead at 64.

Draft saved Draft deleted