1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina TV reporter attacked

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BigRed, Mar 11, 2008.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Hope none of you had as bad a day as this local South Carolina news reporter, who was attacked by the family of a murder suspect while covering a story on said murder suspect. She's black - apparently the family was yellling racial slurs at she and her photographer while ignoring the presence of a news crew from another station (who were white).
    She's in the grey coat and white pants... the person helping her is her photographer. All three women who attacked her were arrested and charged with assault.
    You stay classy, South Carolina.
    http://www.wyff4.com/video/15567746/index.html

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, glad to see the inbreds were arrested.
    May they miss their relative's funeral because they can't post bail.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Why on earth would you be so stupid as to attack someone while there's another person filming you?

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

What about this one.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Which station is the victim from? I'd like to see how they covered the attack.

7. Holy crap. I know that reporter. I know Union, too. That's a tough place.

I wonder why they didn't show what led to the attack, just the attack.

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

The victim is from WSPA-7 in Spartanburg... the video is from WYFF-4 in Greenville.
    I watched both stations tonight, and WSPA had to use WYFF's video because WSPA's photographer got involved and, I don't believe he filmed it. The reporter who was attacked talked about the incident on camera, but they got another reporter from the station to do the story she was supposed to do, for obvious reasons. They also had comments from their news director backing her up.

9. http://www.wspa.com/midatlantic/spa/news.apx.-content-articles-SPA-2008-03-11-0020.html

They were yelling racial slurs at her and the photographer ... that I believe ... when one of the family members allegedly bum-rushed them. Have to imagine the reporter or cameraman said something - if so, were they in the right?

Four people were arrested after attacking a News Channel 7 reporter and her photographer. Reporter Charmayne Brown and photographer Ti Barnes were covering the scene of a homicide investigation in Union when the attack occurred. Charmayne says she was across the street from the victim’s house when family members began yelling at her to leave.

Charmayne says the group was also yelling racial slurs at her and her photographer. She says one of the women in the group then rushed at her, punched her and dragged her to the ground. She says at that point it’s hard for her to recall what was going on, but News Channel 7’s Satellite truck operator Ray Daubenspeck says he also saw the woman punching her. He called 911, picked up a camera and began recording video. Charmayne says at least two other people joined in on the attack as her photographer tried to pull them off of her.
    Mugshots

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are you asking if the attackers were in the right? Or if the reporter and cam op were in the right by responding to racial slurs (if that did happen)?

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

If they were responding to the slurs, I think the reporter and photog were in their right... nobody deserves to have racial slurs yelled at them when they're doing their job.

12. Sorry it was unclear - I had to run to dinner - I was asking if it was OK for the reporter and photographer to verbally respond to the slurs. I don't know if I blame them, but you probably should just walk away.

Draft saved Draft deleted