1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina Primary Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

More likely stuff will come out which will be very very very very embarrassing to some of the rivals considering their main constituencies and personal histories.

My suspicion is we'll find out why Santorum is so insanely, hysterically, maniacally, obsessively anti-gay -- how at times it seems like he thinks of little else. And of course there's always the possibility (or likelihood) of more juicy tidbits on Newt's curious sexual history.

While he's at it, Mitt could probably sic his hit squads on some of the more raving-lunatic-fringe of the hate-radio talk squawkers who have been trashing him, too. Most of those guys have plenty of shit they don't want to become public, either,

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know about that.

I can't imagine he'll pick the South Carolina governor, because he'll win that state easily, but I don't think Palin shitting the bed should prevent him from considering picking a female running mate.

I'm still hoping Christie winds up on the ticket. I know it's a longshot, but with the way Christie has put himself out there to stump for Romney, even from very early on, makes you wonder...

Rubio wouldn't touch the VP.

People have said he needs to pick a "true conservative" to shore up the base. I think he should pick a very popular moderate since the voters he's going to need in order to win are the independents.

3. Mizzougrad96

It won't matter. Both will be done in 2-3 weeks.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, probably. But there will be rumbling that Mitt should pick one or the other as a VP for various "ticket-balancing" reasons.

My bet is Mitt's vetting squads will come up with good reasons he doesn't want either on the ticket.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Romney also admits his personal income tax rate is around 15 percent.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/romney-does-math-tax-rate-closer-15-percent-180536871.html

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This might become a bigger issue than Bain, though the two together could provide fodder for a million more political ads than they have already. The Republicans might regret running Scrooge McDuck if the current environment holds. Heck, who knew that Mitt's fellow Republicans would be leading the charge on the unfairness of it all? I guess once they saw what happens when someone with more money can spend them into oblivion, Newt, Santorum, Perry, et all, suddenly started identifying as the 99 Percent.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think Bob McDonnell has to be the favorite for VP right now. Heck, when he was down there this past weekend, they were CALLING HIM Mr. Vice President.

If you want bombast and bomb throwing, you take Christie. If you want to emit competency, then you take Bob. McDonnell has done a good job running Virginia while letting his AG appeal to all the kooks in the party. If any potential running mate personifies competency in government, right now it's McDonnell.

8. Mizzougrad96

Newt did great last night. The problem is that people don't think he can beat Obama.

Hell, the recent ABC poll had Romney beating Obama by a couple points and I know polls at this point don't mean much, but the same poll has Obama crushing any of the remaining candidates.

I think that matters to a lot of people.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He has that perfect Republican part in his hair as well.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if this election will finally spur some sort of campaign finance reform (McCain-Feingold not withstanding).

Seems like the whole concept of outside interests creating ads was cute in '04 with Kerry and the Swift-Boaters, but now that both sides will be throwing millions, maybe the pols will finally get tired of getting attacked from pillar to post.

Doubt it will happen, though.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ha, I've thought that since he ran for AG. He really does. It does seem like a partisan thing.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It shows adherence and conformity. Republicans like that kind of thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted