1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina Journalism Registry proposed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A House member there has introduced a bill to establish a "journalism registry" ...

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's a House member who is about to be journalismed regarding an affair.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

An affair with a dude.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So I guess this guy is only a fan of even numbered amendments.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This sounds like a great idea. I'm sure every lawyer in the state is looking forward to the upcoming civil lawsuits.

Never create rules you don't know how to, or cannot, enforce.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

One simple question...

What is your estimation in taxpayer dollars it will take to make this work?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The ghost of James Madison weeps.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yet another proponent of government staying out of the way of private business.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Probably a coincidence that this story ran in September.

Investigation: Candidates enrich themselves with campaign cash, gifts, travel

• As with Clemmons, Rep. Michael Pitts, a Republican from Laurens on the House Ethics Committee, also enjoyed trips out West, spending nearly $6,000 jetting to Alaska, Oregon, South Dakota and Montana to hobnob with “sportsmen legislators.” Pitts said the summits were “mostly business” concerning hunting and fishing laws and initiatives. But photos from these events show Pitts and others proudly posing with freshly killed pheasants and other game.

“You do get an opportunity to do something while you're there,” Pitts said of the hunting junkets. “The goal there is for the state hosting it to show off their natural resources. But that's absolutely not the focus of (the trips).”

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Irony! And, because guns!

Republican lawmaker says journalists should face a registry to work in South Carolina

Pitts told The Post and Courier his bill is not a reaction to any news story featuring him and that he is “not a press hater.” Rather, it’s to stimulate discussion over how he sees Second Amendment rights being treated by the printed press and television news. He added that the bill is modeled directly after the “concealed weapons permitting law.”

“It strikes me as ironic that the first question is constitutionality from a press that has no problem demonizing firearms,” Pitts said. “With this statement I’m talking primarily about printed press and TV. The TV stations, the six o’clock news and the printed press has no qualms demonizing gun owners and gun ownership.”

12. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Because I'm not aware of someone taking their freedom of the press and using it to massacre 20 first graders at their school

Draft saved Draft deleted