1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina Gamecocks football reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Hey friends,

We have an opening based in Columbia to cover the Gamecocks. This position is one of the most well-read beats in the region -- news or sports. I'm not the assigning editor for SEC football, but this position reports up the chain to me and I'm leading the search. Here's the job posting.

You can apply here:
    The McClatchy Company LLC is looking for a great South Carolina Gamecocks Reporter.
    ---------------------------------

The South Carolina Gamecocks Reporter breaks news and delivers exclusive enterprise and smart analysis in a fast-paced, competitive environment.

McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history.
    Come Join McClatchy – a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future!

Learn a little bit about us: http://bit.ly/This_Is_McClatchy

The South Carolina Gamecocks Reporter should have a deep knowledge of the SEC and NCAA and be adept at building sources. A strong source network is vital to being out front of competitors, and this reporter must be able to find and break news, cover breaking news with urgency and develop compelling enterprise and analysis. Games only make up a small percentage of what college athletics are about, and we want someone who is just as comfortable breaking down film as they are filing an open records request or reading through court documents. We also want someone who can bring new ideas to the table and isn’t afraid to try new things with our coverage. In covering one of the most important beats in the Carolinas, the South Carolina football beat reporter will use social media as a news-gathering tool, an engagement opportunity and a means to put our news and enterprise in front of a topic-specific audience across Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and other platforms.

Duties and responsibilities:

• Find and break South Carolina athletics news on a competitive beat.
    • Report breaking news as it happens – be fast and first, without sacrificing accuracy and clarity.
    • Build a wide range of sources — from players and coaches locally to agents, SEC officials and experts — to help us maintain our spot as the authority on all-things Gamecocks against local and national outlets for breaking news and enterprise.
    • Write analytically for the sports fans who have watched the game but are looking for a deeper understanding of what they saw.
    • Proactively look for opportunities to tap into trending topics as they relate to South Carolina athletics.
    • Work collaboratively as part of a team with other reporters and editors.
    • Bring your own story ideas to the table, and be ready to take assignments as well.
    • Be a master of social media – both as a news-gathering tool, and as a way to push the news out quickly and build our audience and engagement, as well as your own brand.
    • Understand your audience metrics – which of your stories are resonating with readers, and which are not? Working with your editor, regularly mine this data for takeaways about how we can build and engage our audience.
    • Regularly enhance your stories with your video, third-party video, embedded tweets and links to related stories.
    • Find enterprise stories that make for a deeper read and use storytelling techniques to engage readers.
    Qualifications:
    • College Degree required.
    • At least 1 year of Reporter experience required, 2-3 years preferred.
    • Experience covering college athletics, preferred.
    • Deep knowledge of the SEC and NCAA
    • Adept at building sources
    To Apply:

If this position is Just What You Are Looking For
    please include the following with your resume:

1. Breaking News clip
    2. Profile or Feature clip
    3. Analysis clip
    4. Larger Enterprise/Project clip
    5. Any accompanying digital assets

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

This is a "big pants" job. Matt is good folks. David Caraviello raved about how great Columbia is. If you've got the chops, no excuse not to knock on the door for this one.

Matt Stephens likes this.
  3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agreed. If I was 25 years younger I would jump on it.

SportsGuyBCK and maumann like this.
  4. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

This used to be my job. If y'all have any questions, shoot me a PM.

Matt Stephens likes this.
  5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

First question - where are you going?

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

If you were 25 years younger, you'd still be too old for the job ... :D

maumann and Tarheel316 like this.
  7. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Leaving the business. Had looked around in the summer, and a place I interviewed kept in contact. Eventually, they offered something I couldn't pass on.

8. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Good for you. Good luck in your new venture.

9. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

maumann and Adam94 like this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Starkville to Columbia: Less cowbell.

Draft saved Draft deleted