1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina cop charged with murder in shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I though about whether it was true -- cop thought the guy did have his Taser. But running away, what's he gonna do with it? Guess cop could make the case if he didn't shoot, guy could turn and tase him then take his weapon and kill him.

But from the film, the cop never seems to be in any doubt about where the taser is and what to do with it.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The fact that everyone has a video camera (cell phone) in their pocket is going to do more to change cops' behavior than body cameras on cops will. The cops can't control what's recorded by the public, and they can't know when they are being filmed.

That said, we need laws everywhere making it clear that filming the police in public is legal in all ways, shapes, and forms.

There have been attempts to make this illegal, and the absence of laws stating that it is legal causes confusion. Cops will tell people it is illegal, and threaten folks who are filming with arrest.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Very true. And any laws passed to enhance the citizens' right to film police should also include punishment for officers who attempt to restrict that right.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Seems to me, in the absence of video, there is always doubt. Increase video and you'll hopefully cut down on these fucking tragedies eventually.

Sure would have liked a video of that Mike Brown shooting. Just hoping somebody in the public happens to film something like that is ridiculous. Put them on cops and you assuage those in public impacted and it also gives all those good cops out there an opportunity to show how good they are.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The saddest thing is that it's not like Walter was a 400-meter sprinter. Jesus Christ.

All the cop had to do was radio for a little backup and they would've caught the guy in a few minutes after he ran out of breath.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Or use the same light jog he used to retrieve his taser to catch up with the guy and trip him.

7. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

I live in SC and most whites seem to be against the cop...

Racial tension is everywhere but this specific case have united a lot of white and black folks around here, at least that is the perception I get from social media.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

since the video was released, is anyone trying to justify the shooting?

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Just watched the video again. I can't believe how close the guy recording the video is to the shooting.

10. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

A few people ask for more sides of the story but for the most part, most people are in favorite of the victim.

Havent heard of any riots or anything.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the lack of people saying something to the effect of, "Yeah, but we don't know what happened before the video started!" Even the staunchest law and order defenders I know are pretty sickened by this one.

Also, this video proves a point - if you're getting shot at by a cop or anyone else, for heaven's sake, zig zag, change directions, do anything other than run away (dreadfully slowly) in a straight line. You see in this video just how hard it is to hit a target moving away from you with a pistol. Make it harder if you want to survive.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Be patient. It's coming. What we've learned today is that there was another person in the car. I can only imagine the tales that can be spun from that one.

You're thinking of alligators.

old_tony, YankeeFan, Ace and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted