1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina cop charged with murder in shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go with the death penalty in this case—even if the law allowed it—because it isn't like the cop pulled the guy over just to shoot him, mainly this wasn't exactly premeditated. His lawyers could argue it was in the heat of the moment. What I do want to see is charges for that second officer on the scene who was standing there when the cop dropped the taser by the body. Based on the newspaper's accounting of it (posted on the first page), the police were going with the narrative that the guy was going for the officer's taser probably because the weapon was by the body. That second cop either a) saw the taser had suddenly appeared after he checked the body or b) saw the taser be planted. Then he was complicit in the narrative he knew to be false.

studthug12 likes this.
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  3. Humungus

Humungus Member

The guy who was shot is the real racist.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

He shot the guy in the back after a scuffle. He's guilty as sin. But this wasn't a pre-meditated, first-degree murder. Most likely second-degree considering the officer probably has a heat-of-the-moment defense. But I would definitely say go for second-degree and go for the max on that.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Shot in the back
    You're to blame
    You give cops
    A bad name

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Heat of the moment seems a bad defense strategy seeing as the guy was, you know, running away from the officer, not toward him.

SnarkShark likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Heat of the moment as opposed to premeditated or at least absent the chance to fully consider his actions (even by his own doing). Basically, OT is saying first degree murder would be extremely hard to prove. Second degree would be easier because you don't really need to prove premeditation just that his actions were intended to cause the death of the individual (or at least he should have known his actions could easily lead to the death of the man).

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If the jury doesn't come back with anything other than "we find this guy exceptionally guilty," something's wrong.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Must-see Court TV:
    Slager: "At that point, I was fearing for my life."
    Prosecutor: "But Mr. Scott was running away from you."
    Slager: "Yes. It was terrifying."

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Once you get past the belief that the video makes a verdict automatic, it isn't that difficult to see gray area. And we have history that a video doesn't make a verdict automatic.

They'll make a lot of hay in court by discussing the officer's version (a.k.a. the only known version) of the confrontation at the car, which began before the video started. Don't know if it will be enough to get him off, but I think this one will end up a lot closer than all logic suggests it should be.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm not going to watch the video (no matter how newsworthy, snuff films don't do much for me) but is there any chance that the guy who got shot was running toward something -- like, say, a kid or two -- that led the officer to believe he had to shoot him? I mean, unless there's a hint of something like that, I don't see how you could even piece together an argument to acquit.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Also curious as to what the cop went back and picked up. Was it his taser?

Draft saved Draft deleted