1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Bend Tribune sports designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Alsbt, Oct 24, 2007.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

They do, sometimes. But this one is listed under the "full-time" heading on their jobs website, and the ad doesn't mention no 32-hour gig.
    http://www.sbtinfo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?CATEGORY=OTHER2

And Jimmy, I hear you're drinking again.

2. redmnm2

redmnm2 New Member

You would have lost this argument. ND football in the Sunday edition is and always will be their bread and butter. This is what brings people to town on Saturday and regardless of how crappy the season, it's what people want to read about. South Bend isn't a baseball town. While I can't say people don't care about the NLCS, the sports editor was right in putting this inside the section. The fact is, the SB-Trib is a community newspaper and ND is the biggest segment of its sports community. Unless they had a pro baseball team in SB, there's no way the NLCS should have been anywhere but inside the section. That's just the reality of how it should be. You don't bump your local sports coverage inside to make space on your cover for a game between two teams few people in your readership area are likely to care about. An intelligent lead designer wouldn't "butt heads" with their SE on this, because they would know it's the right call to make.

3. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Seems reasonable to design the paper that way. I guess I would be in the minority in regards to wanting to read about the NLCS. But a few paragraphs just didn't make sense to me. Not having it out front does not seem problematic.

4. it's late, but "Bush tabs Weis for intellectual disabilities"

you don't know how bad i REALLY wanted to run that headline. of course, i'd be unemployed right now if i did.

5. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I believe this position has been filled up like Charlie Weis' waistline.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I really hope they didn't just get some tub of lard for this gig, though.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Please elaborate.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Look at Carl's post.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ah. I'm an idiot.

Draft saved Draft deleted