1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Bend Tribune cuts arrive

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by noodles, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jeff good luck to you. I will miss your work at ND. You have been one of the few writers in the area that have been unwilling to drink the Charlie Weis Kool Aid.As a result your readers were treated to a fair take on the Irish.

Stewert and Toobin are certainly 2 writers to aspire to be like. Two of my favorites.

Best of luck to you.

Boom.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree completely. I love reading a columnist at a paper in a college town who gives a fair and balanced view of the local team.

I wish there were more out there like Carroll and sadly there are very few.

3. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Mizzou, if you ever want to have a shot at being a judge in Illinois you have to be of public service, whether it be as a defense or prosecution lawyer. My friend happens to want to be a judge, so she's going this route. There's nothing wrong with that. She is willing to make the financial sacrafice. I just hope those making the transition to journalism understand that you don't make large sums of money because you pass the bar. It seems guys like Jeff and Jim Carty understand that.

And don't assume that b/c a lawyer is making $13 per hour they are doing something wrong. You're a journalist, you're taught never to assume.

4. Death

Death Member

Best of luck to Carroll. Agree on the Noie sentiment. Is Kopsea still around?

On a semi-related note, Mr. Ray might want to invest in a new Page One editor. The Tribune's A1s the past few months have been nothing short of atrocious. It used to be one of the better ones out there. Not sure what happened.

Sports seems to do a great job. Maybe step inside and talk to the SE about how they do it.

5. Mad props to Jeff. ND Nation hates him, which is why I loved reading him.

Draft saved Draft deleted