1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Bend Tribune cuts arrive

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by noodles, Nov 12, 2008.

1. noodles

noodles Member

Anyone know how many in sports got whacked? Here's the brief:

Tribune announces job cutbacks

The South Bend Tribune will end 2008 with about 56 fewer employees than it had at the beginning of the year, David Ray, editor and publisher, said Tuesday. This will be a staff reduction of nearly 14 percent, he said.

The job reductions include unfilled open positions, retirements and voluntary and involuntary severance arrangements.

Ray said The Tribune faces the problems that have affected the newspaper industry nationwide, including continuing increases in the cost of newsprint and an unprecedented slump in advertising revenue.

The newspaper decided to offer a severance package to some employees this fall after other cost-cutting efforts failed to keep pace with the economic downturn.

"Like other local businesses, when our customers suffer, we suffer," Ray said. "In our case, both our readers and our advertisers are struggling with the bad economy.

"We hope that things on that front will improve soon," he said. "Newspapers are a vital community asset. These reductions are necessary for us to continue to produce and distribute an excellent newspaper for our community."

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

South Bend has a circulation almost identical to the paper I work for, and after these cuts, they STILL have 100 more people working in their building than we do.

I don't know whether I should be impressed with our efficiency or worried for SB's future.

Maybe both.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Any news on Tom Noie?

Hopefully he made it through...

4. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Sports lost three guys -- two voluntarily, one not-so-voluntarily.

The losses included a part-timer, the main columnist who mostly worked on the Notre Dame magazine and a full-timer who's been there for about 50 years.

Noie is safe.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Did Jeff Carroll leave?

6. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Carroll left voluntarily.

He's writing a book and then headed to law school.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Does Charlie Weis get voluntary or involuntary severance in this deal?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Charlie Weis must be smiling today.

9. clutchcargo

I guarantee you that Charlie Weis is not phased one iota one way or the other about Carroll's departure.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I dunno. I follow ND Football and liked that Jeff held Charlie's feet to the fire and did not play along party lines.

11. clutchcargo

Charlie has plenty more to worry about than what Jeff Carroll wrote about him in the SB Tribune, and that's not a slight against Jeff. He's very good at what he does.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In my opinion, Carroll was the only reason to read that section. He did an outstanding job.

I'll definitely buy his book and wish him the best of luck in law school.

I'm happy for him and sad for the business. I find myself thinking that a lot these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted