1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Bend paycuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

Just heard that the South Bend Tribune is instituting across-the-board 5 percent paycuts. That pales in comparison to its neighbors in Ann Arbor, obviously, but this is a paper that just laid off or bought out around 30 people in the newsroom this past fall. It's getting bad there. Hopefully they don't meet the same fate as Ann Arbor.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

shit! and here i was pleased to see no bad news earlier this morning and thinking we would finally have a not-so-bad day in this biz. good luck over there.

3. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

From the publisher ...

We get an extra week of vacation, but we lose a lot more pay than if it was a furlough.

I'm just glad I'm single and don't have many expenses.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You know, I'm no economist, but I would certainly hope the price of newsprint has gone down. Let's see, two major newspapers have stopped printing altogether; just about every other newspaper has narrowed the size of its web and/or cut the number of pages.

If the whole supply and demand thing really works, there's no way the cost of newsprint could go anywhere but down.

That's one less (often-cited) excuse for management to use about the company budget.

And it goes without saying ... good luck to Herky Jerky and everyone else in South Bend.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Jesus. I took the 5 percent paycut last month. I'd love to have the extra week off to go along with it.

Congrats, South Bend. Your steaming pile of shit smells slightly less foul than mine.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

This might be the first one of these notes that actually showed that the bosses cared about their people. It will be hard for Herky and the others in South Bend to deal with this, but I'm heartened by the facts that those with salary cuts are getting at least some days off in return and that those making the lowest amounts don't have to do the paycuts.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Is South Bend a Guild/union shop? I know of a couple union shops that did the same thing, where the membership voted in favor of a 5% salary cut in exchange for an extra week's vacation ... and it saved quite a few jobs in each shop.

8. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Nope, not a union.

But that whole vacation thing doesn't really help us in Sports. We've got eight full-timers, seven of whom have been around long enough to get four weeks of vacation. Add on the extra week and that's 38 weeks where we're down a body.

A lot of that will get taken care of during the summer, but we really only have about an eight-week window where it's really slow. And with our recent personnel losses, we can only have so many people on vacation at the same time before it becomes unmanageable.

So this should be interesting.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So it's a furlough by a different name.

10. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Basically, but worse.

A one-week furlough would've amounted to a paycut of less than 2 percent -- not 5.

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

When does Charlie Weis get his 5% pay cut and extra week of vacation? (Probably the week between Christmas and New Year's, of course).

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's been a while, but wasn't South Bend also the paper that instituted the new requirement that all employees had to send a memo at the end of the night accounting for every single minute of the day?

If so, then it really sucks for them. Not only would they have to take an hour to write a memo, but they'll get paid less for doing so.

Draft saved Draft deleted