1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Bend Busy Work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jan 30, 2009.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

lono is my new god.

We actually had to do this at my last paper.

That's when I started looking for a new job.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Hey, lono? That new intern? What his name? ;D

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Wow, I just read the SB editor's memo. Unbelievable. That silly sample would eat up 10-15% of your day.

Sounds like the Charlie Weis school of anal and inefficient micro-managing is carrying over into the local paper.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

As an assigning editor, I think I would slit my throat if I had to go through and document every little fucking thing my reporters did... My philosophy: As a small shop with 4 reporters, just send me an e-mail sometime late morning or afternoon so I know what the hell is going on for the day... What stories you're working on, etc. That's it.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Don't forget to charge them for "video bootcamp lunch" also.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Wonder how much of that corporate douchebag's 40-hour work week was spent on this idea?

I'd love to see, on paper, how many hours the editors spend every week in pointless meetings?

I have questions. Many more questions.

Praise the Almighty that I don't work in my paper's city. Thanks State U!

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

D'oh!

8. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

[​IMG]

"My job consists of basically masking my contempt for the assholes in charge, and, at least once a day, retiring to the men's room so I can jerk off while I fantasize about a life that doesn't so closely resemble Hell."

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

is that from American Beauty?

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yep. That's when he blackmails his boss for 60 grand so he wouldn't say his boss tried to hit on him. I love that movie!

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

There's no way anybody with self respect can obey this bullshit edict.
    It is insane.
    This editor is a human piece of dung to come up with this.
    There's no other way to call it. South Bend you are the laughingstock of the country.
    I assume this is a Gannett rag. If not, Gannett will soon be copying the idea.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Nope, South Bend isn't Gannett. I'm having trouble coming up with the company that owns them, but I know they're not the big G.

Draft saved Draft deleted