1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sourdough vs. BBQ: Super Bowl LIV thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 19, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This game was listed as a Pick 'Em today, which I can't ever remember a Super Bowl being.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Barbecue slaw is much, much better.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Not yet :)

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

According to VegasInsider, the Patriots-Seahawks Super Bowl closed as a pick'em. Bengals-49ers in 1981 went off a -1. Those were the only two Super Bowls with those lines.

I got the 49ers at +130 last week, so I'm hoping they wind up favored for at least a little bit. Then I can grab the Chiefs money line, hopefully around the same modest odds, and come out ahead regardless.
    Of course, since I only bet $10 on the Niners and would lay the same on the Chiefs, my windfall would be about $3. But still, winning!

playthrough likes this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

That's $3 more than what I woke up with. I'll take that every day.

Batman likes this.
  6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Shrug, it was like two weeks ago in a college game a better QB overcame what appeared to be a gap in defense.

Maybe the 49ers defense just does the thing and the offense rocks. But man, I've seen enough inconsistent Jimmy G in tight moments to give me a little pause. (That 49ers team was also probably better than this one on paper)

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The biggest question for the Niners is can they keep Mahomes from extending plays and breaking of big runs. They lost to Jackson and Wilson who did just that. If the secondary can force Mahomes to hold the ball and allow the front four to get home, KC will have a long day. If KC's defense spots the Niners a double digit lead early, that could be trouble.

Jimmy needs to keep the defense honest to allow Mostert, Breida and Wilson to get big plays and keep the Chiefs offense off the field. It's going to be a long day for San Fran if they have to win in a shoot out. But it isn't like they can't (see Arizona and New Orleans) it will just be hard.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Garoppolo came out throwing against the Vikings and picked up an easy score on the first drive. Looked very good. Then he threw that admittedly bad interception and it seemed like Shanahan shut him down a little bit. No quarrel with his performance yesterday. When you're gaining 8 yards a run, why pass? I don't think there's any question he's capable of putting up a big passing day. He's just not as likely to do so as Mahomes.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Great TE match-up. Hell - any chance they could try and cover each other on D?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Steve Deberg wishes to chime in.

EDIT: Damn you Liut.

Liut likes this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That 49ers team was 15-1 in the regular season and they really didn't have a weak spot. They did have Montana, which puts them ahead of the current team by a significant margin.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

During Super Bowl week, 49er offensive linemen and assistant coaches were telling some reporters (not me) off the record that there was no way the Dolphins defense could stop them. They were right.

Draft saved Draft deleted