1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sourdough vs. BBQ: Super Bowl LIV thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 19, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If it wasn't Shanahan taking heat today, it would be Reid. The truth is it was an extremely close game with enough mistakes on both sides, enough "almost" plays. It isn't like the Stephen As of the world are going to curse "Fate" today. People marveled two weeks ago at the 49ers ability to get big chunks on running plays - so when they try them in key situations Sunday and get stopped, they suddenly aren't trying. Hell, Mahomes had one of his worst games of the year - even his long bomb on 3-15 was underthrown (should have been six) - but they won so he's going to Disney World.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Kittle's obvious offensive pass interference is the most controversial officiating issue one day after the SB. I'd consider that a major W for the zebras. All in all, not a very controversial SB.

Michael_ Gee, amraeder and sgreenwell like this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I actually think KC calling the TO at the end of the 1st half after the second down was the puzzling call. 20 seconds to go so basically even if it they got a stop, they would have gotten the ball back with about 8 seconds to go at most at the 25 yard line or so. A fumble on the punt was more likely than return for a TD.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Might have sent 11 guys for the block and not even had a returner back there.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The truth is there are a lot of sportswriters moonlighting as virtual coaches and GMs who have to tell us, after the game, how badly one of the coaches screwed up.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Been avoiding this thread but decided to venture out of my stupor. This was an agonizing loss, but honestly, the better team won. Niners had trouble with mobile quarterbacks all year and all year, Mahomes proved he didn't care what the score was. There are going to be second guess moments like not being aggressive at the end of the first half and not running the ball on second down with less than 6 minutes to go. The Kittle PI was ticky-tack. But fuck, there's plenty of those in every game in every Super Bowl that makes the losing fans hang on to something. Motherfucking Mahomes just out played the Niners and the receivers were too fast for the secondary.

I thought for a hot second at 20-10 the Niners might win. Wasn't shocked by the end. Just disappointed because it was so close. Hat tip to the Walrus and Mahomes. Hope the Niners can recover and make another run. History says no. It was a fun run because the Niners were not supposed to be this good, just wish it ended with a win instead of a "what could have been."

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They've got the pieces to be solid contenders for awhile. That DL will win any number of games by itself. Trouble for them is, they're in the toughest division in the NFC.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The NFC is also a kaleidoscope conference in a kaleidoscope league. There are a handful of contenders that stay near the top, but year to year it's a crapshoot. Since 2005, the only teams to even get back to the conference championship game two years in a row were the 49ers and Seahawks from 2011-15.
    The last three NFC champions combined to win 13 games in 2016. Four of the last five NFC champs had losing or .500 records the year before they broke through. The other one is the 2018 Rams, who were 4-12 in 2016.
    So maybe the 49ers are in a good spot to get back. They certainly should be a contender. For whatever reason, though, it seems to be a lot tougher to stay on top in the NFC. It wouldn't surprise me at all, though, if they're not able to get back to the Super Bowl just because some other team rises up from out of nowhere to make a run at it.

9. Spartan Squad

The NFC North always seems like it is poised to break through. My guess is one of them or Arizona of it isn't San Fran.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Of the teams on that bottom end of the scale, I could see the Cowboys or Bucs breaking through. The Cowboys have the talent to do it. The Bucs, too, if Winston can cut down on his turnovers or they bring in somebody like Rivers who's as good but just a little more careful with the ball.
    Hard to tell if the Cardinals are still one more year away or not. Murray was better than expected this season.

12. Spartan Squad

My bias will never acknowledge the Cowboys. I don't trust the Bucs but with nothing to really dispute your point, I have to concede there. I say Arizona because they always seem to give teams fits but just can't string together wins.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted