1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sourcing question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Co-worker is writing a story on a pair of local coaches that used to be HS teammates that now coach against one another.
    Anyway, he went back in the archives and found some info from an old game that he's using.
    He needs to source the story, correct?
    I told him "According to a story in the Podunk Times," and go from there.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Are we talking about plain, hard facts or quotes or conjecture or what?

3. Rhody31

Details.
    One coach had a chance to hit a game winning shot and missed and the other coach ended up saving the day, or something like that. The type of detail that doesn't show up in a box score.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Source it.

If the details in that long-ago story turn out to be inaccurate in some way — and you never know with some papers — and since there's probably no other way to verify the story, you'll be glad you attributed.

5. Rhody31

Thanks for the help ...

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yes, if that's the case, source it. That's contextual information gleaned from being at a game.

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

If this was a college game however, that type of stuff WOULD have been in the play-by-play to some extent.

Plus, if any of that type of detail could be found elsewhere (the local public access channel ran by the local school district has DVDs of games going back to 2000, IIRC), is it REALLY necessary to source? Or if another paper had been there covering the game as well.

At my rag, we don't source ourselves unless it is for a quote.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Definitely source it.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, if a detail CAN'T be found or corroborated anywhere else, that's when it's most necessary to source.

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Could you have him get the coaches to tell him the story? That way you could avoid having to cite a different paper?

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It sounds like he would be citing his own newspaper, right Rhody31?

12. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

That's what I'm saying.

But to source yourself in in this situation is like saying "We are the only ones who know this."

To me anyway. Comes off a bit pompous.

And like I said, if another paper/tv/radio station was there, they would have the same details, no?

I don't mind citing another newspaper for quotes, historical stats not easy to look up (this was Podunk's first win over Bumbletown in 17 meetings, etc.) and details of a game (hit a 3 with two defenders draped on him) ... but to cite your OWN paper over some late-game scenario?

Draft saved Draft deleted