1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sources: David Stern stepping down as NBA commissioner in 2014

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sources--david-stern-stepping-down-feb--1--2014-25361209.html

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

See ya Shorty.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

So what will Stern's legacy be?

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

And yet, Gary Bettman continues to thrive. Sigh.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Frozen envelopes and a certain Game 6.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you're talking about Game 6 of the 2002 WCF but it took me time to figure that out and I'm someone who's watched that game probably two dozen times. I don't think it's something the average fan -- or nonaverage, I suppose -- is going to think of. And if they do, I don't think it's in a "Stern manipulated it," kind of way (I'd argue more people blame the 2006 Finals on Stern than the '02 WCF). But since I'm a Lakers fan and an anti-Stern-conspiracy guy, maybe the Kings-Lakers game has a bigger impact with people than I'm giving it credit for.

Obviously the final 15 years of his tenure took away from the first 15, and which commissioner could have blown it from '84-98 with Magic, Larry and Jordan? But I think he did a great job getting the league through some rough patches post-Jordan and right now it's in great shape. The Paul trade fiasco was also a huge hit to his legacy but overall I think he brought a lot of great things to the league.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sources now saying that Isiah Thomas is being considered as a possible replacement.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"The details of my life are quite
    inconsequential. ... Very well, where do I begin?"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

First mob commissioner in American professional sports.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This. And let's not forget he inherited a mess from Larry O'Brien. League's reputation was a bunch of druggies.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He'll be remembered for helping bring the league to the highest level, but he will definitely also be remembered for being in charge when some pretty shady shit happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted