1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Source situation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I for one think a feature about a shoe repair store would be facinating.

2. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Well the good news is that the editor liked it. And it wasn't as boring as it sounds.

And of course, with my unsurpassable prosaic skill, anything I write will be an exhilarating read.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would have said he didn't want to comment. He didn't; he wanted to frame and spin answers to emailed questions. That's not comment, that's manipulation.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

We have a fairly large Vietnamese community on the Mississippi Coast, but we struggle to get their stories in the paper. For too long, there was an attitude of "they don't want to be interviewed, they want to be left alone." That makes me uncomfortable, because that was one of the reasons given for not covering the black community for a long time. We really need to make the extra effort, and once you find that one person who can be that liaison, it makes things much easier down the line.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. They want to be left alone. Probably want their own pools and drinking fountains.

Ever notice that people tend to convince themselves of whatever is easiest on them?

6. Boom_70

Probably many illegals not paying taxes and want to keep a low profile.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. They probably swam over from Vietnam.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just call a source out as a communist. It will go over real well.

9. Boom_70

Or JR drove them in from Canada.

Draft saved Draft deleted