1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Source: Oklahoma City team name to be Thunder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxramblings07, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Well, as long as "no more stupid" is the standard we are looking for ...

MU, your avatar is AWESOME. I stop to watch the kid in the red shirt dance probably five or six times every time I encounter one of your posts. Those your kids or is it just an Internet thing?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Since it's Oklahoma and every third high school still has an insensitive Native American nickname, I figured they'd have gone with the flow.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You mean like the Southeastern Oklahoma SAVAGES?

As for Boomers, I'm guessing they didn't want to alienate all the OK State fans. Doubt their colors will be crimson & cream, either.

Outlaws? No way Stern would ever approve that.

Thunder is nice and innocuous. Not great, but at least they didn't name it after a dinosaur in Jurassic Park.

4. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

They're now the Savage Storm. Fellow Lone Star Conference school Northeastern State went from the Redmen to the RiverHawks last year.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You mean a World League of American Football Mk1 name. Perhaps they'll recycle the color scheme, too.

[​IMG]

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Great name? No, but how many are? Seriously, if someone had invented "Red Sox" today . . . we could have that person committed for stupidity. But now it's "classic."

And do we need another predatory animal nickname?

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Has there ever been a major-league franchise that has a nickname that is a sound?

What kind of logo to you have for a sound? My guess that it will be some sort of lightning bolt, but that's not thunder.

I'm also guessing that there will be some obnoxious sounds at Oklahoma City games.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not major league, but . . .

[​IMG]

Heck, "SuperSonic" is a speed, "Heat" is temperature, "Reds" is a color, as is "Browns".

My guess is a logo will look something like this . . .

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

"Oklahoma City Thunder" sounds like a team who would play in a stadium like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Yeah because every name in the league sounds so much better than that. Clippers? Heat? Magic? It's about on par with those.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Beats Real Oklahoma City.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Don't be so sensitive.

A little advice. In my home state, one numbnut tried to fuck a dead deer, and now, I never hear the end of it.

I could sit here and get all pissy, but why? Instead I embrace the absurdity of it. I mean ... now I know why I get turned on during deer season.

See? Follow my path, and just do what you do to relax in Oklahoma, which presumably, is having sex with living, breathing livestock.

Draft saved Draft deleted