1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Source: Five out at Baltimore Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hell, Washington doesn't care about the Caps. I can't imagine Baltimore cares.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's warranted. Baltimore has its own NFL team and with budget as much of a concern for The Sun as it is, it really doesn't need a Redskins beat writer. With no NBA team and the Wizards having left Baltimore years ago, there's really no reason Baltimore needs a beat writer to cover the NBA. I'd also think The Sun could do without Caps coverage.

There was a major hue and cry on The Washington Post's Web site over whether the paper should pay as much attention to the Orioles as it does. People on both sides felt very strongly. Personally, I'd play the Orioles in The Post as much as I'd play the Seattle Mariners. But that's just me.

3. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Baltimore is such a parochial town and out inferiority complex in regards to Washington is so strong, that if The Sun would run a story touting its decision to drop Redskins coverage, most readers would celebrate it as a sign that the paper is focusing on what its readers care about.

Any serious Redskins fan in the Sun's coverage area has not been getting his news from The Sun anyway -- one story a day, and a gamer plus a notebook on gameday (at most) is a footnote compared to the Post's round-the-clock coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted