1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Source: Five out at Baltimore Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

According to an e-mail tip, several folks in the sports department at the Baltimore Sun have taken voluntary buyouts.

Among those out are columnist John Eisenberg, copy editor Mike Reeb and reporters Paul McMullen, Kent Baker and Gary Lambrecht.

The source says: "No word yet on how the jobs are being filled. There's some scuttlebutt about golf writer Don Markus doing Navy and perhaps some Ravens features. The paper has stopped covering the Redskins and Wizards."

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did Michael Phelps ever cover Michael Phelps? That would have made quite a story.

I know three of those guys.

3. They've stopped covering the Redskins and Wizards? Good lord, we're doomed.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Friend of mine went to the Sun a few months back in a non-editorial position. She says it's a toxic environment right now, with management struggling to transition to a workable model. I hope those who leave can find a better circumstance.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Next time, use the blue font.

First, I didn't know they covered the Wizards.

Second, since the Skins play in Landover, coverage probably is warranted.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Or not.

The Dallas Morning News went through a navel-gazing phase a while back where staff writers googled themselves and wrote stories about persons of the same name (e.g. Dave Levinthal).

7. I was (mostly) serious. The NFL is the biggest thing going in sports in this country, and the Wizards are the only NBA franchise in their backyard, last I checked.

I'm nowhere near Baltimore, but from a distance, it seems odd they wouldn't cover those teams.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They've always used wire on the road for the Wizards and Caps, for as long as I can remember. Maybe it was different when they played in Landover. And sometimes I could've sworn I saw wire stories for home games, too.

Skins, I always remember them covering them home and away, so this definitely is a new one.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No one in Baltimore gives a rat's ass about the Deadskins. The Wizards may have a better following. But I think colleges and high school hoops get more attention.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Might've been a tad different before the Browns moved to Balto.

11. Fair enough. Like I said, I don't have a good pulse on that market.

12. And by the way, best of luck to those departing the Sun. Scary time to be unemployed in this line of work.

Draft saved Draft deleted