1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sounds you don't hear anymore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

The distinct sound of a metal oil spigot puncturing, and then sliding into, a can of oil.

2. T2

T2 Member

Presumably the little window was so that the suspicious customer could see what he was buying.  "How do I know you're actually putting gasoline in my car?  You're standing there with a hose, and the numbers are going around and a bell keeps ringing, but what does that prove?"  In the window he could see the gas, and if the marbles were bouncing around, that proved that the gas was flowing somewhere.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The distinctive "bink" sound in the recording when you were supposed to forward the film strip one frame.

4. unwitty

unwitty Member

A day without a 'BOO YEAH'

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Some great ones here. Sounds as if the crackling sound at the start of a frequently-played record on a turntable made an impression on a lot of us.

Since I used to work in a theatre, I remember the sound during the changeover, when the guy had to switch the projectors and slap in another roll. You could hear a "clank" as he released the just-completed film roll from the projector.  There was always a little black dot in the right corner of the screen several seconds before the change that was his cue.

And for my Canadian friends: "This is Howie Meeker, coming to you from high in the gondola overlooking Maple Leaf Gardens."

Speaking of gas stations, do any of them have the rubber hose you drove over that set off the dinger to let the guy know he has a customer?

[​IMG]

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wow, there's one from the past....

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Leo mentioned the earpieces that vibrate instead of a phone ringing... those are already here.

my bluetooth will vibrate to let me know a call is incoming, and if I have my ringer off on my phone, no one would know!

My most missed sound?

The sound of metal spikes on the cart path while playing golf.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Great call on the metal spikes.

Sounds I don't hear any more?

"Can I see some ID?"

Draft saved Draft deleted