1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sounds you don't hear anymore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The high-pitched sound you got at the beginning of a store-bought cassette.

2. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

The Macarena (not sure if that qualifies as a sound, but I'll throw it out anyway)

"Hello, and Welcome to moviephone"

"Wassuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup"

the sound that was produced when kids used to put baseball cards in the spokes of their bikes to make them sound like motorcycles

someone's pager (not a cell phone) going off (and doctors don't count)

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sound of glass Coke bottles being yanked from those old, see-thru, horizontal machines...

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, I hear this regularly at my local.

I gotta move. :-\

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Last night. But, then again, I have children. We're developing a Partridge Family-style armpit fart act, actually, with me in the Shirley Jones role.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

/turning toward micro guy

Slug bug!

/ka-pow!

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

you're lucky. i hear the ice cream man three times a day. more in the summer.

as for the sound of old fashioned ringing phones, you still hear it -- the modernized version that people install on their cell phones. it sounds pretty damn close to the original.

i can't think of any other sounds i dont' hear any more but i wonder which sounds we hear now will someday become obsolete. i would guess that cell phone ringers will disappear because one day we'll all have microscopic earpieces that won't ring but will just vibrate or go on automatically or something.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Another sound you don't hear -- a school bell that rings. I think the movies are the only place they still exist.

9. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

Thanks for that one HC, I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Hey, look on the bright side, at least you're not hearing "What are you doinggggggggggggggggg" everyday, and I think that would officially qualify as the ninth circle of hell.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The solid metallic clicking of an old directional signal in a car.

The static you get twisting a radio dial (as opposed to using the "search" or "scan" buttons). In the movies, this always led to a person dialing in a station just as the announcer had breaking news relevant to the plot.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Top 40 radio on the AM dial.

Hell, for that matter, top 40 radio.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That light static sound you'd hear when you first put a record on.

The sound of a film projector in a classroom.

Kids playing outside.

Draft saved Draft deleted