1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sounds you don't hear anymore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Aug 2, 2006.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Some of us geezers remember the clack of the AP teletype wire, rotary phones, typewriters, wood bats/golf clubs, and the cackle at the start of an album that's been played too much ...

Yesterday I'm driving in the country on a two-lane road when a vintage VW bug goes by in the other direction, and the sound of the engine made me remember when you could always tell if a bug was coming because it sounded so different that other cars. My family/I had four of them, they were a great automobile for getting around town, etc.

The new Bugs don't sound like that at all. Then I tried to explain to my son about VW buses, Karmen Ghias, Squarebacks etc. ..

Other once-common sounds that have disappeared?

[​IMG]

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What sound is it? A backfire?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

TV's use to be noisier when they had picture tubes, didn't they?

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

That was amazing!
    /byh's wife

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jets. They used to be a lot noisier.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

The sound of my car leaving the parking garage.

8. Fubar

Fubar Member

I never hear the dialing sound that a rotary phone makes anymore.  Not only do I miss the sound dearly, but I miss the dialing process and how long it took.  Some of my favorite times in life were spent dialing high numbers.  Ah, memories.

Sometimes I sit up late at night and cry about it.  Then I eat everything in the house and complain to my girlfriends about how fat I am.  They tell me I'm not fat, but I know they all talk to each other about how fat I am when I'm not around.  How could they not?

Remember the Australian (?) Energizer guy?  I never hear him yell "OY!" anymore either.

I need more Chips Ahoy and Andy Capp fries.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The sound of a telephone bell ringing. They're all electronic now.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

hard to describe a VW engine. Kind of a whirring, ticking sound.

11. Mutah

Mutah Member

Typewriters, especially the old manual ones.
    The old pop-tops that you pulled completely out -- they always made that little "whirp" noise at the end of the pull.
    Changing the channels on an old television dial.

12. boots

boots New Member

The sound of my momma and pappa beating the shit out of me for doing something I shouldn't have. In fact, you don't hear too many parents beating the shit out of their kids. Damn shame. It was good for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted