1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorry, your SB seat is not available...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Feb 6, 2011.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's about the best thing I've heard.

This "Make it $27,000 and then I'll listen!" is just nonsense.

It's a GAME. You paid a couple thou to see a GAME. Whether you were sitting in a seat 500 feet away or watching it on TV 5,000 feet away . . . you still got to see the GAME.

Whatever "hardship" you endured does not entitle you to 7 months of a typical American's income. Perspective, people.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Local code inspectors are saying the seats in question were never inspected because they were never finished.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if $2,700 covers the ticket, airplane, hotel and food, much less all the other expenses (parking, entertainment in the days before the game, etc.) during Super Bowl week.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Not to mention the hassle. Many flights were cancelled or delayed from a lot of airports in the past week, both becauuse of problems in the Northeast and Midwest and the ice problems in Dallas. That meant delays, layovers and maybe taking a bus or rental car to finally get to the game.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's not like a regular game where you have a couple of ancillary costs. I mean, when people are charging $900 for a parking spot, it's a safe bet that everything is a pain in the ass and exceptionally expensive.

That said, I did just hear that the fans were given free food in drink during the game and tickets to next year's Super Bowl as well as the $2,700. So that's at least an honest effort to make up for the screw up. Especially if the fans flip the tix next year for a few thousand each.

Not to mention the hassle. Many flights were cancelled or delayed from a lot of airports in the past week, both becauuse of problems in the Northeast and Midwest and the ice problems in Dallas. That meant delays, layovers and maybe taking a bus or rental car to finally get to the game.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Some of those affected bought from the secondary ticket market (the polite word for scalpers). I'm sure for some, the NFL's offer doesn't cover the price they paid for the ticket. Of course, the NFL shouldn't take scalping into account when offering refunds.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The NFL is offering free tickets to next year's game to 400 fans.

I wonder if that includes airfare, hotel and food.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But why should it cover everything?

They were not denied a hotel room or food or entertainment in the days before the game. They got to enjoy those things. They were denied one thing --- the 4-hour game from a designated spot they purchased. Compensate them for that however you see fit, but whether they rang up a $3,000 bill eating at Ruth's Chris every night beforehand really isn't relevant.

9. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Not many people are going to fly to Dallas and stay in a hotel for a few days just for the hell of it.

I think the NFL (or Jerrah) should pay for their airfare and hotel... they fucked up, not the ticketholders. Do the people "deserve/entitled to it"? Maybe/maybe not, shouldn't matter. They paid for the ticket, for some of these folks it was a once in a lifetime experience and whther you think paying $1,000+ for a ticket to game is stupid or not, you're not the one who was going to the game.

I honestly can see both sides, personally I've covered enough NFL games, just going to the Super Bowl wouldn't be such a big deal to me I'd still rather watch it on tv, but I've got plenty of friends who feel otherwise. My neighbor (a HUGE Seahawks fan) told me a couple weeks ago, I know the 'Hawks don't have a chance in hell to get there (this was before they even beat the Saints), but it they did, I'd find a way for me and Mrs. Seahawk fan to get there since DFW is only 2 hours away. This is coming from a guy who makes 40k/year. He'd have gladly paid $2-3,000 for tickets.

More than anything this is a PR move for the NFL, and with the huge potential PR problems of the upcoming labor talks, the NEED to make this right!

The irony in this would be if they offered free tickets/all expenses back the game next year and the lockout lasts all year and there is no game. But then they'd have more problems than 400 pissed of fans.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

People tend not to react kindly when things like this happen: Exhibit A, Clark Griswold.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So you're saying Jerrah should get shot in the ass 400 times with a BB gun? :D

12. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Now THAT I would pay plenty to do!!

Draft saved Draft deleted